Need some help...

slack44

Solid State Member
I got a computer, hp pavilion a220n.

AMD Athlon 2600 cpu
2 x 256 (upgraded to 2 x 512)
Nvidia Nforce (upgraded ATI Radeon 9550 256 mb)
more specs at hp.com

I play this game world of warcraft, it's online mmorpg, when i enter crowded areas where there are a lot of people, my screen freezes up for a minute or so. It is quite annoying. What can i upgrade to increase performance?

All my video settings are on low and performance. Is it the ram? I just got kbyte 512 pc2700 DDR -- 2 of them. It slowed down the freezing of the screen a little bit. Is that a good brand? Kbyte?

Also if someone could check if this model motherboard in my computer (which i have not upgraded) can handle 2 x 1024 sticks of ram ty).

It says max 1 gig on website but i want to verify. I can really use 2 gigs in the long run.

That is a weird problem cause i played with the system in my Signature. But no problems. What is your internet connection first of all?

sometimes i get a freeze problem as well but its not to noticeable. Well it dont piss me off like that. What kind of HDDs you have? the RPM that may have something to do with it as well. Cause i have been useing the 54000 rpm ones so i figured that would be the problem.

same 5400

but i wanted 2 know if kbyte is a really good brand for ram. and is that brand going to have the same performance as say kingston or a better brand? if not what would be a better brand?

Dude buy two sticks of 512 ballstix for around $210 american. That would be perfect for what you need. As for the ram, depends does it have warrenty? cause if it does GOOO for it, if its shitty most companys know they will not put warrenty, thats your best bet find a cheep one and has a warrenty. I dont even know that brand.

Your video card might just not be good enough to run World Of Warcraft, and that is why it freezes when alot is on screen.
What resolution for you run the game at if you have to run all the settings on low?

It definetly won't be your RAM since this won't increase game performance much, or at all, only game loading.
1024mb is plenty and if your motherboard manufacturer says it won't support 2048mb (2 gig)...it simply won't. For any task 1gig is sufficent!

I run on 1024mb but have a Radeon 9800 Pro which runs the game at high settings with about 20-40fps in big areas... quite low for a card thats not that old, but is much newer than yours.
So I'd suggest you get a better graphics card, which is the problem.
The card you have is rather old and just might not be up to scratch for the job.

A nice Geforce 6600GT for instance would have this game running like wild fire, and would run all new games at rather high settings for the near future. It only costs about £140-£160 too, and so it worth the upgrade. If that card you have now has just been updated, you chose the wrong one I'm afraid for such a new game, and has no chance at running newer ones at high settings either :(

A Cable modem should be great at playing this game as we use one so it can't be this either

go to:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

and tell me what connection speed you end up getting. We get approx 600 on this test which is definitley fast enough

Hope this helps

Well then its not your connection trust me. Thats great! :eek:

Yeah It'll be your graphics card. You'll need to update to get smooth frame rates, and will be able to get up to higher settings too with no problems

Geforce 6600GT is a great cheap but effective option :)

Back
Top Bottom