Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 48
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

do not go with 460 over the 5830.
i reccomend radeon 5870
460 will burn out on u... doesnt matter evga giga or asus... all the same
kingston ram
mobo the asus one mentioned above

you should get a big full tower if u are building a gaming computer becuase u need cool temps...
a cooler for ur cpu is also recomended... i suggest coolermaster and yes case u can get full towers by coolermaster as the guy above suggested.
__________________

__________________
My baby running like a dream: a. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 b. Intel Core i7-930 c. COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case d. Sunbeam PSU-COM680-BK-US 680W ATX12V Modular Active PFC Power Supply - OEM e. COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible CPU Cooler f. KingstonT1 Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 g. WD 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive h. ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $1,241.55
lockess_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

So i did some more research and got some pointers and opinions from you guys (thanks). So here is what ive come up with.

Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
APEVIA ATX-AQ700W-BK 700W ATX12V
EVGA GeForce GTX 460
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner

Just a question about the mobo, not sure if this is the one for me. I really am not sure what one is good. I like the idea of USB 3 and the SATA 6.Gb/s so i can use the faster HDD.

Is the PSU good?

ohh and the total shipped from newegg is $1,191.40 (with Win 7 home prem)

Let me know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockess_ View Post
do not go with 460 over the 5830.
i reccomend radeon 5870
460 will burn out on u... doesnt matter evga giga or asus... all the same
kingston ram
mobo the asus one mentioned above

you should get a big full tower if u are building a gaming computer becuase u need cool temps...
a cooler for ur cpu is also recomended... i suggest coolermaster and yes case u can get full towers by coolermaster as the guy above suggested.
5870 is twice as much as a 460 so thats a no go.
What do you mean by burn out?
__________________

motostu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

No offense towards him personally, but that was an uneducated post. I'm not sure what his source was for that, but I've yet to hear of all GTX460's "burning out".
Much less, needing a full tower for cooler temps. If anything, a larger tower can raise temps if not filled properly. Case size affects air pockets, flow, pressure, etc. Larger isn't always better.
__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #14
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
No offense towards him personally, but that was an uneducated post. I'm not sure what his source was for that, but I've yet to hear of all GTX460's "burning out".
Much less, needing a full tower for cooler temps. If anything, a larger tower can raise temps if not filled properly. Case size affects air pockets, flow, pressure, etc. Larger isn't always better.
Seems to me there not that bad if he has one in his system...

Nothing over the top with regards to gaming. CSS, CODMW, and Flight sim x. alot of photo editing with cs5 and lr5. so i think the 460 will do.

i have a 27" sceptre screen 1920 x 1080p. Is the 460 with only 768mb enough or should i really get the 1gb?
motostu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

What do you guys think of upgrading to a GTX 465. Seems like there are quite a bit better than the 460 and not much more $.
Mostly going to be playing Flight Sim X, will my setup be good enough?
motostu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #16
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 194
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

It will be overkill for FSX! But I have been known to say you can never have enough of the latest and greatest in technology. I have FSX and love it!! Good Luck!!
familyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman View Post
It will be overkill for FSX! But I have been known to say you can never have enough of the latest and greatest in technology. I have FSX and love it!! Good Luck!!
IF you dont mind me asking whats you system spec and are you able to play it with all the settings maxed out?
motostu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #18
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

Corsair PSU it is. 650 watt should be enough?

Anyone one else recommend any other changes?

And what about Firewire? Does the Mobo support i or have it built in?
motostu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #19
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

I dont think anything even uses Firewire these days that i know of. So i dont know why you would want it?
__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25
Default Re: Need Some Advice On My First Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperviper21 View Post
I dont think anything even uses Firewire these days that i know of. So i dont know why you would want it?
Transfering pics from DSLR to Comp.
__________________

motostu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0