Need some advice on computer issues.

HeavenSoldier

Beta member
Hello, I need help, Adobe Acrobate was updating a file and I was doing something while it was installing and the install closed, now when I shut down my computer I received a bunch of computer errors (some from adobe). Now I had Norton Utilities a long time ago, and it would fix those problems, now Norton Utilities is no longer? I just need a program to fix those errors like when a install closes prematurely and files are scattered throughout your computer that you can use. So what should I buy?

Also next question, I have papers from grad school I need to feel out, but they're required to be typed. I don't feel like finding a type writing and typing it. What program can I use to scan a grad school graduation application and have it show up perfect, where I can check certain items and etc. For example, I asked a administrator once if she had a document online because I didn't feel like typing it with a manual typewriter, I don't know if she scanned it, but it came out in Adobe fine. So how do I do this, do I need a certain program? Thanks and God Bless.

1/. I'd uninstall and reinstall Acrobat. As to a programme, Google for Registry Mechanic or similar (I'm sure there is an older version of Reg Mech that has been released as freeware/shareware)

2/. You need an OCR programme if you want to convert a scanned (usually .jpg) image to a .doc. OCR is Optical Character Recognition

did norton utilities come with the computer? because thats trial software and it expires within like 60 or 90s days or whatever. i would reinstall Adobe Acrobat and do the updates again.

the only way to scan something to show up on your computer is to have a scanner and they come with software that bring the scanned paper up on the computer screen.

EDIT: sorry DeathStar, i have a little bit of a lag today :)

Deathstar said:
1/. I'd uninstall and reinstall Acrobat. As to a programme, Google for Registry Mechanic or similar (I'm sure there is an older version of Reg Mech that has been released as freeware/shareware)

2/. You need an OCR programme if you want to convert a scanned (usually .jpg) image to a .doc. OCR is Optical Character Recognition

Okay thanks, so you don't know any good programs to install for future errors? I'll see if I can find the adobe CD somewhere, it came with the computer I believe, but I'll work it out. OCR Programme? Okay I'll look it up. You mean something like ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition, Adobe is a OCR program to right? Thanks and God Bless.

Ronco Rox said:
did norton utilities come with the computer? because thats trial software and it expires within like 60 or 90s days or whatever. i would reinstall Adobe Acrobat and do the updates again.

the only way to scan something to show up on your computer is to have a scanner and they come with software that bring the scanned paper up on the computer screen.

EDIT: sorry DeathStar, i have a little bit of a lag today :)

Nope had Norton Utilities years ago. Okay I have a scanner but it trys to load up a old version of Adobe so it can find the old version it's looking for. What do I do about this? Update: I just fixed the problem, but I scanned it and the scan looks horrible and I can't click anything. I guess I will have to get the OCR program. Thanks and God Bless.

when a scanner scans something, it tunrs it into a picture. you can't do much with that if you want to edit something, unless you want to edit it in photoshop.

Ronco Rox said:
when a scanner scans something, it tunrs it into a picture. you can't do much with that if you want to edit something, unless you want to edit it in photoshop.

Yeah I want to scan a file and possibly turn it into PDF and type into the forms if possible.

HeavenSoldier said:
Yeah I want to edit it and possibly turn it into PDF and type into the forms if possible.

i don't know if you can turn a picture into a PDF :-/

EDIT: i mean there is a way to make the picture into a PDF but you want to be able to use the picture as a word file where you can fill in your own stuff.

Ronco Rox said:
i don't know if you can turn a picture into a PDF :-/

Sorry I said it wrong. What I really want to do is scan a application, turn it into PDF, and type into the black spaces and entrys, and check boxes if possible.

without editing the picture you can't do anything to it. i know what your saying but the only way i think you can type your own things into the blank spaces on you application is to edit it on a computer with photoshop.

but if you want to keep it simple i would just find a regular type writer.
anyways you said it yourself, the scanned copy came out crappy.

HeavenSoldier said:
Okay thanks, so you don't know any good programs to install for future errors? I'll see if I can find the adobe CD somewhere, it came with the computer I believe, but I'll work it out. OCR Programme? Okay I'll look it up. You mean something like ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition, Adobe is a OCR program to right? Thanks and God Bless.
Yes ABBYY is an ocr programme, or you could try this: SimpleOCR Link as it is freeware.
Basically OCR will recognise written words in a scanned .jpeg image and convert it to a .doc format, you then import it to Acrobat or word, edit it and away you go.

EDIT:
Ronco Rox said:
.... anyways you said it yourself, the scanned copy came out crappy.
That will be because of the jpeg compression, once OCRed it will be better because it will be converted to .doc format.

Back
Top Bottom