Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default need some advice on building PC =)

Hello everyone! I'm going to be building a PC mainly for the purposes of rendering files - a friend of mine who is good at building PCs is going to help me. I'm a graphic design student so I use a lot of After Effects and Cinema 4D and plan to learn Maya, Final Cut Pro, and 3DS Max soon (a few terms from now). I use the other Adobe programs also but I don't really notice any issues in using them unless I'm working with extremely large files (which is occasionally but not all the time). I currently only own a laptop right now and it's really slow going when I have to render files with a lot of texture, lighting, animation, and detail. My other concern aside from rendering is when I'm working in the programs itself. Sometimes it's really slow if there's a lot going on or I need to preview something. Most of the time, I just render out a small section of what I need to see and watch it and then fix what I need to - it's just really annoying to me to do this all the time. I still have to do this even when I need to preview only a 2-3 second portion of my file.

My budget is around $1500 for the computer itself ($2000 total for everything including the monitor, speakers, mouse, etc.). I'm willing to invest a little more in it if it means faster rendering (and I actually get to sleep at night before finals =)) but I can't go too far over $2000 (probably $2200 max including everything).

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated! =) I've been doing some research on learning to build a PC and my friend has some general ideas already on what parts to buy but any direct links to products or such would be helpful =)

mustardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: need some advice on building PC =)

For what you do, don't skimp on the graphics card or processor. I would even consider an AMD Fire Pro graphics card as they cater more towards graphic design and 3D modeling.

OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Default Re: need some advice on building PC =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnapWord View Post
For what you do, don't skimp on the graphics card or processor. I would even consider an AMD Fire Pro graphics card as they cater more towards graphic design and 3D modeling.
Thanks for letting me know! =)
mustardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote