Need serious help - Wireless adapter/router

leetskeetin

Baseband Member
I've moved into a new house, and we have a wireless modem/router, it's just a cable modem with a wireless signal in it. So I purchased a wireless network adapter without looking at reviews, and it is just awful, and I am positive it is the adapter. So I am planning on going to my other house and getting my D-Link wireless router, and hard wiring the ethernet cable through the wall into my PC, since it's my general consensus that most wireless adapters suck, and I don't want to spend any extra money. Now plugging a wireless modem into a wireless router shouldn't pose any issues should it? I just disable wireless on both of the admin panels since I don't need it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

OK, as I understand it, you have a Gateway (a modem and router in one.)
You should be able to plug directly into it with your computer. You shouldn't need a second router.

There are two computers in the household, one that is plugged directly into the gateway, and then mine which picks up on the wireless signal. So I want to put my dlink router in, and plug one of the ethernet cables to the computer that is directly plugged into the gateway now, and another into the computer that is receiving wireless now.

There are two computers in the household, one that is plugged directly into the gateway, and then mine which picks up on the wireless signal. So I want to put my dlink router in, and plug one of the ethernet cables to the computer that is directly plugged into the gateway now, and another into the computer that is receiving wireless now.

You basically want to use it as a switch? That should work. The last time I did that I had to create a subnet. For example: the primary router was 192.168.0.1, the the second router was 192.168.1.1

I would rather use a switch plugged into the gateway and plug the two computers into the switch. I take it that your gateway only has one ethernet jack?

Back
Top Bottom