Need router information

bradleyheathhays

Solid State Member
I need to find a router that broadcasts speeds higher than 300N in a single 'channel' as opposed to broadcasting say 2 300N 'channels' thus calling itself a 600N router. Is there a 600N router that broadcasts all its power into a single 600N detectable network, or maybe a 450N router into a single 450N channel?

Thanks.

Brand names might be misleading you. Be sure to check how many mbps the router is. Typically 802.11 N wireless routers will be specified as 300mbps or less. 300mbps is just the theoretical speed, you won't actually achieve this in the real world.

Brand names might be misleading you. Be sure to check how many mbps the router is. Typically 802.11 N wireless routers will be specified as 300mbps or less. 300mbps is just the theoretical speed, you won't actually achieve this in the real world.

^ this.
Speed depends on yes the router, but also what the ISP is providing you. Some ISPs restrict the bandwidth your allowed.
And most routers you should be able to disable the second band (Channel) and put all its strength into one channel.

Thanks both you guys! I'm wondering how I go about disabling my router's second band (Channel) to put all its strength into only the one channel. Thanks.

Thanks both you guys! I'm wondering how I go about disabling my router's second band (Channel) to put all its strength into only the one channel. Thanks.
To configure your router, you will need to log into it via a web browser. You would type in the following address http://192.168.1.1/ The log in information should be with your router's manual but you can always look online here.

Hey thanks Lego. Really appreciate the help.

Got into my router via browser like ya said and this is the menu I've gotten to...

router2.jpg

I haven't made any changes yet, thought I should consult again. Which band should I disable?...The 2.4GHz or the 5GHz? And, I think to do it I would use the drop down menu that's open in my pic here and just choose OFF?...then Apply Changes button?

Also, after I disable one of these bands how can I be sure the router is then concentrating all its wireless ability into the one channel? Is it possible that it wouldn't do that, or is that something all routers would just automatically do?

Thanks again bud!

FYI, disabling one band doesn't instantly make the other one "stronger" as you're hoping. You're usually better off having both channels to pick from.

FYI, disabling one band doesn't instantly make the other one "stronger" as you're hoping. You're usually better off having both channels to pick from.

From my understanding the the 2.4 GHz is slower but has more of a range, and the 5GHz is the opposite, with faster bandwidth and a smaller range.

Well, we have two folks who both seem to know what they're talking about saying different things. That disabling a channel will speed up the other, while another saying this won't happen at all. Lets have some more discussion on this. What evidence is there that this is true?...disabling one channel speeds up the other? Is there something I can do on this end that would effectively measure my output now vs. after one channel is disabled?

Also is this def true, that I should use the 5GHz channel because it has the faster bandwidth?

Back
Top Bottom