Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Need a ridiculous new part...

My motherboard only supports four pcu express slots, which angers me because i want to run every gpu ever made in the same system. Lol j/k but i do want seven.

Anyway, what i need is an adapter that can take a pci express signal, and divide it up between multiple pci express slots. Two would be the most effective, as the cards would be able to run at x4 which is pretty standard. If not, then i would like one that divides it from x4 into 4 x1s. If anything nonstandard (ex. X2) works, then it is fine by me as well.

I do not know that This exists, but one with three x1 slots does for sure, and i see no reason for one with more bandwidth.

Yes i know i am crazy.

Edit: x4 to 4x x1... Located. http://www.amfeltec.com/products/x4pcie-splitter4.php
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

u need a bigger PSU
__________________

__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #3
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

Gonna get two 1010 watt PSUs. I think that should suffice.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

Check this page out.

I was thinking this....
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

I do not understand the goal of this. Don't you need a x16 slot for most video cards to be effective?
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
Legodude522's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,303
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
I do not understand the goal of this. Don't you need a x16 slot for most video cards to be effective?
You obviously don't understand the extent of foothead's fetish for multiple GPU on GPU action.
__________________
PC: Intel i7 4790K, 16gb RAM, MSI R7 250 2gb
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s 64gb
Handheld Games: Nintendo 3DS XL, Tapwave Zodiac 2, GamePark Holdings GP2X F100
Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
I do not understand the goal of this. Don't you need a x16 slot for most video cards to be effective?
I want to fold on this setup. Foldig is just as effective at x1 as x16 because there is very little communication with the GPU.

Also, it takes a very powerful card to require x16 2.0. The only card that is significantly bottlenecked by x8 is the 5970.

Remeniz: that does not actually divide the signal. It is nothing more than three risers glued together. X1 risers do look good so i dont need to slice up my mobo though...
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legodude522 View Post
You obviously don't understand the extent of foothead's fetish for multiple GPU on GPU action.
Apparently not @_@
Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
I want to fold on this setup. Foldig is just as effective at x1 as x16 because there is very little communication with the GPU.

Also, it takes a very powerful card to require x16 2.0. The only card that is significantly bottlenecked by x8 is the 5970.

Remeniz: that does not actually divide the signal. It is nothing more than three risers glued together. X1 risers do look good so i dont need to slice up my mobo though...
Ah. Why the obsession with F@H though? Just because you have the parts laying around?

I didn't say 2.0
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

Quote:
Ah. Why the obsession with F@H though? Just because you have the parts laying around?
It's my contribution to help those that use my folding results to understand serious illnesses and who knows one day I, and many others, might benefit from the medication developed via F@H.

The other incentive to do it is the score boards full of many other folders that donate their CPU/GPU cycles.

The folding farms i've seen are crazy, like 10's of thousands of points per day!

Why not share the GPU's across a few, or 3, motherboards?
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
Legodude522's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,303
Default Re: Need a ridiculous new part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
It's my contribution to help those that use my folding results to understand serious illnesses and who knows one day I, and many others, might benefit from the medication developed via F@H.

The other incentive to do it is the score boards full of many other folders that donate their CPU/GPU cycles.

The folding farms i've seen are crazy, like 10's of thousands of points per day!

Why not share the GPU's across a few, or 3, motherboards?
The amount it costs to power those GPUs.
__________________

__________________
PC: Intel i7 4790K, 16gb RAM, MSI R7 250 2gb
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s 64gb
Handheld Games: Nintendo 3DS XL, Tapwave Zodiac 2, GamePark Holdings GP2X F100
Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0