Need RAM Help!

You'd gain more from having dual-channel rather than 1066MHz not in dual channel. Buy 2 new sticks (2x2GB) 800MHz-1066MHz to run in dual channel.

Okay, I have 2 single channel sticks right now. So, if I buy a 800Mhz dual channel kit, will it work with my current single channel?

I'm not sure if the 2 separate lanes can work independently (one dual-channel, other 2 x single channel). Personally, I'd buy a new 4GB set (2x2GB) to run in dual channel and just remove the current set from the system.

I saw some reviews. I read there is a minimal gain going from single channel to dual channel. It would be cheaper and more practical for me to just get a 2x2GB set and run them all in single channel. Should I just do that?

I saw some reviews. I read there is a minimal gain going from single channel to dual channel. It would be cheaper and more practical for me to just get a 2x2GB set and run them all in single channel. Should I just do that?

Little gain? That review is misleading. Dual-channel doubles RAM speed because now you have information running as though it were a 2-way street. Here's a little read: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133

The only fix I add to that guide is that today the CPU is bottlenecking the RAM.

edit: Benchmarks

Gaming doesn't require high performance RAM so you won't notice a difference there. For things that do require RAM you will notice the difference.

OH! So, 4GB of dual channel won't give me more performance than single channel? I don't really think it's worth spending $50 more for dual channel. I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds, haha. I think I'll go for the 2x2GB single channel route.

Back
Top Bottom