Need RAM Help!

rohan23

Fully Optimized
I currently have single channel DDR2-800 running in my computer. You guys have convinced me to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64 bit! I'm getting my GTX 260 Core 216 in a couple of days. Should I get 4GB of DDR2-1066 RAM? Or, just add 2 more GB of DDR2-800. The 800 would be cheaper I guess. How much of a performance difference will I see between the two? I won't be overclocking to anything more than 3.0Ghz for everyday stuff. I leave my Q6600 at 2.4Ghz stock speeds most of the time. Don't really need it overclocked. It does fine on stock speeds.

I'm told that you want your ram to be at the same Mhz as you FSB. My FSB is running at 667Mhz so I got 4 gigs of 677Mhz ram. Do you know if your motherboard supports 1066Mhz ram or what your FSB is rated at?

i would just stick with the 800mhz and save some money.
from what i have seen, theres not much performance increase between an 667mhz compared to an 1066mhz. I think the faster ram thing is only good if you plan to OC a lot.

So, just add more DDR2-800 RAM? If I buy a dual channel kit. How will I get it to work with my current single channel sticks? I mean, 2 sticks will go into the coordinated slots. Will the other 2 work in the slots, even if they aren't dual channel? I hope you guys can understand what I'm asking.

A "dual channel" memory kit is nothing more than two matched memory modules. The timings and speeds all match. As long as your two current sticks match the new ones, it will run in dual channel.

I would venture to guess that you are already running in dual channel mode if your current modules are in the correct slots.

A "dual channel" memory kit is nothing more than two matched memory modules. The timings and speeds all match. As long as your two current sticks match the new ones, it will run in dual channel.

I would venture to guess that you are already running in dual channel mode if your current modules are in the correct slots.

volts shouldnt matter right?

I am running 2 1GB sticks of Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 RAM. My memory timings are 4-4-4-12 at 2.0 volts. I set these manually. I'm running a 2:3 FSB to DRAM on a single channel. I heard if I don't get the same batch of RAM, they run weird. Is that true? The serial on the back is KHX6400S2LL/1GR

I'm looking for at least 6GB of RAM. I need it for video editing.
Should I go for this kit?
4GB (2x2GB) HyperX $60.99
Or, one of these?
Patriot Extreme Performance

If you find something better, tell me.

In order to get full use of the 1066RAM you will have to run the RAM in a 2:1 ratio with the FSB. If this is stable you will see a slight increase in performance. Nothing too major. If I were you I would try to get the very same brand/model of RAM you currently have and run dual-channel on all 4 slots. It should be enough for your needs. Things tend to work better when they're the same brand/model.

I can't run dual channel with my current two sticks. If I try putting them in the matching slots, I don't get any video. It fixes itself when I put it in the 1st and 2nd slot, instead of the 1st and 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom