Need opinions on future build

IIRC you can OC the high end Intel boards...

Okay...yeah, I couldn't remember how it all worked. I just remember that when I built my first computer and was on here, people informed me that the intel boards I picked out wouldn't be OC'able...so that's what I was basing that off of. They really should make all their boards OC'able...they'd probably make more money...haha.

I'm gonna be going with the GTX 280 for sure, but I think I'll stick with the i7. However, I came across a slightly cheaper mobo, and I need an opinion on which to get, and btw i might be getting this sooner than I thought, like possibly Mid feb to early march.

FIRST MOTHERBOARD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039

SECOND MOTHERBOARD:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DX58SO-...JONM/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c/190-8345100-2674802
If you want a cheaper board, go with the MSI Platinum SLi, it has everything the EVGA has and will be a better OC'er than the Intel.
yea, but i dont like AMD, i dont have a reason why
lol, wut?
I just recently started getting into the Phenom II. I'm not going to change my opinion however. I haven't looked at the Phenom II architecture, but I do know that it's very similar to the i7 (considering it was posed off of it). But again, he's got the money to go with the i7, so why not?
This is why:
I'm planning a build soon that I wanna really get the most out of my money, especially for gaming,
He wants to get the most for his money, and he wants it mainly for gaming. In that case, the Phenom IIs perform great in games, and he could save an immense amount of money.

This is why:

He wants to get the most for his money, and he wants it mainly for gaming. In that case, the Phenom IIs perform great in games, and he could save an immense amount of money.

Yeah I gotta agree here if he was using it for editing or encoding I would definitely say go with the I7 but for gaming if he wants to save money there isn't really going to be a big difference between the Phenom II and the I7...Especially if he gets the Phenom II 940 B.E. which has an unlocked multiplier...But I guess that really doesn't matter much if he isn't planning to OC it....But bang for the buck I would recommend the Phenom over the I7 considering how expensive the boards and Ram is right now.....

Also If he is not planning on building this for a few months this whole thread might be useless to him then because I believe that the AMD AM3's are coming out in February sometime and we still haven't seen those yet...The only thing about those is that they might be close to the I7 in price since you need an AM3 board and DDR3 Ram.

But its all about personal preference if he wants to go with the I7 and has the money go for it but if he really wants to save some $$$ then AMD has what he is looking for for cheaper...

I may also be using this to edit video, and I really like the i7's from what I've seen, so I'll be getting the 940. And I will be building most likely in the next 2-3 weeks now, as I will have the money sooner than I expected. In fact, I am buying the Vista and Probably the processor tomorrow, as there is a good deal on buying both from newegg. Thanks a lot for all of your input!

Since connecting my desktop by ethernet cord isnt an option, and I am not about to buy another modem, I need to buy a wireless adapter for my desktop. Anyone have any suggestions on good adapters like 30 dollars or so?

Back
Top Bottom