Need opinion on my overclock and temperatures...

Your PM is full. But anyways, I'll just put it here. I wouldn't OC it higher just yet. What I would do now is to reboot the PC and go into BIOS. Check your temperatures from there and see what it says. If it's still low and within tolerable limits, then you can OC a little more. Make sure everything else runs stable before you OC it higher. When you OC too high, system may hang on you, crash, or won't boot.

That's a huge jump in clock rate. Just monitor the temperature every now and then in the BIOS to see where it's at. I don't trust software all that much. You can just see what the BIOS reads out and then what the software tells you so you can compensate for the difference. That's another way. If the temps are normal, you have a good clock and cooling is hooked up right. Are you using stock cooling or an aftermarket version?

The BIOS can often be wrong, though. I've heard stories (and seen screenshots) where teh BIOS reports something way off. This one screenshot I saw showed that it was running at 220 Celsius. Now, come on! He went into Windows knowing that was bogus, and his software showed it at 35 Celsius. :p

I would say get other programs to see what the temps are then. I have Everest Ultimate Edition and it tells me the temps of everything right in my system tray. Correlate that with whatever software you have and what your BIOS reads out. They got to be around the same. If the BIOS is truly way off base when your two or three other software reads out about the same temp, then it's time to flash it and see if that helps.

Also a good test is to actually feel the heatsink, literally. Touch it on the sides and see if it's like burning hot to the touch. If it is, you could be in trouble. If it's just warm, then you're all right.

a 2.66 at 3.3 thats insane i have my 3.0 at 3.3 i idle anywhere between 42-45ºC I am going to bring mine up to 3.5 in the near future.

i doubt the cpu is error free with that overclock, run a program called prime 95 and put the torture test on, this will put the cpu under full load so u can see what temperture it gets up to and if u get an error its not stable

I have my 3GHZ CPU andit's idle at 50-55C and I I downclock at 1.5GHZ, the idle temps ae the same. If I OC, it's the same. That is weird.

That OC is huge

TRDCorolla said:
I would say get other programs to see what the temps are then. I have Everest Ultimate Edition and it tells me the temps of everything right in my system tray. Correlate that with whatever software you have and what your BIOS reads out. They got to be around the same. If the BIOS is truly way off base when your two or three other software reads out about the same temp, then it's time to flash it and see if that helps.

Also a good test is to actually feel the heatsink, literally. Touch it on the sides and see if it's like burning hot to the touch. If it is, you could be in trouble. If it's just warm, then you're all right.

How do you get the Everest temperature readouts? I have the Home edition and I can't find them anywhere! Are they on the Home edition?

Uh... I think I'd just rather get a couple programs to check temperatures. There's SpeedFan, Motherboard Monitor 5, PC Wizard 2006, and CPU-Z can monitor voltages and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom