Need a new video card, what to get?

Well seeing how Nvidia still has 2-3 month b4 their promised release date I think they might use this to there advantage, to try and improve there cards to match or even beat the ati. thats what i would do :)

just a 3 months heads up isnt enough time to improve already layed out designs for PCBs or the internals, i don't think. what ever they got now, is probably what they hafto go with.

Though i am proud fan of the 4890 atomic :)

5870 looks very nice. but the $400 price tag might be a bit 2 much for my liking.... i dunno...maybe. You guys got me convinced. I will wait for the new ati cards. Should be by the end of this month correct?

And I do plan on playing other games :) I get Crysis the 1st day it was available, but only was able to get to the 1st or 2nd boss (the tank) after that kind of stopped playing. Hopefully with my new upcoming PC I will have the motivation to beat the game whahahaha.

EDIT:

Here is what I was able to find:

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15434/65/

"We received some details about the name of the chip that ATI codenamed Cypress which we have called RV870. The internal generation codename is Evergreen and this name represents the entire DirectX 11 generation of ATI cards.

The top card is named Radeon HD 5870 but the company plans two versions, one with 2GB memory and one with 1GB.

The Radeon HD 5870 1GB should sell for $399 at launch, while Radeon HD 5870 2GB should sell for $449. At the same time, the slower Radeon HD 5850 with 1GB memory will sell for $299. The launch date for all three cards is September 23rd in Europe whereas in the US we are talking about the 22nd."

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15436/65/

"We finally figured out out the final specification of the chip that we called RV870 and the fact that AMD plans to call it Radeon HD 5870 doesn't come as a big surprise. The chip works at 800MHz and has 1600 shaders, two times more than RV770 which indicates that the chip is two times faster than the year old RV770.

The chip has as many as 2.1 billion transistors and is more than twice the number the RV770 packs, which has 956 million transistors. The card uses GDDR5 memory clocked at 1.3GHz (5.2GHz in quad mode) and can provide more than 150GB/second bandwidth. The power of this card stays at 180W while in idle the power drops down to 27W, three times less than the 90W on 4870.

By a rough specification-based estimate, the Radeon HD 5870 could end up two times faster than the Radeon HD 4870 but realistically, you should expect the new card to be faster by about 60 percent across the board."

WOTS is that Crysis will get ~45FPS maxed out with the 5870, while the GTX 285 gets ~34FPS with identical system and game settings making it the best single gpu solution available when it comes out (if the FPS scores are accurate)...

You mean this? It's from Beyond3D forums but is most definitely BS.

hd58703.jpg

This was at AMD's presentation of the cards. We know it's the HD 5870 as it's running six displays.

p90964271.jpg

that bar graph looks to be on par, because the 4890CF scales very well, and does outperform a 295 at max rez and settings at x2400 res or w/e its max is, i cant remember, but the 295 did better in the lower resolutions and the CF set up did better at higher resolutions (due to increased memory)

Back
Top Bottom