Need a new PSU to compliment a new GPU?

Danzig

Solid State Member
So based on some research and question-asking regarding a new budget GPU, I've decided on the Radeon HD 6670. My current GPU is an integrated Radeon HD 4200.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 570, I bought it refurbished from a man for $100. Everything works as it should, but I'd like that new GPU and my current PSU can't handle it, so I've been told. My current PSU is this: HP-P3017F3 POWER SUPPLY DESKTOP POWER SUPPLY 300 WATT DELL

I heard from the same source that a PSU with around 500w would be perfect. I am however on a budget, and I know very little about PSUs. I've done my research on GPUs and found out how to install them, update drivers, and so forth, but the PSU remains a mystery to me. If anyone would recommend me a guide along the lines of "PSU installation" that'd be great.

So, to sum things up, I need:
1. A (budget) PSU which can run a Radeon 6670
2. To learn how to install this PSU

Thanks, computerforums

Hi DanzigGiznad

Please DON'T buy a (budget) PSU just wait a wile and go for a known brand, a cheap PSU will fail and may damage your system. I run a AMD HD Radeon 6670 (ASUS) good card so buy a good PSU honey you wont be sorry. :)

Agree With Above - a cheap power supply is not a good idea, OCZ are an affordable brand of PSU. Look For Bronze Plus Certified or better.

Would a whole new PSU be necessary? Another person told me I don't need one at all

That card doesn't look like it has auxiliary power connectors on it which means that the power supplied by the slot is enough. You might be able to get away with your current PSU.

I know a guy (same fella who told me I needed a new PSU) who has the same GPU I plan on getting, I'll ask him if it has any of those "auxiliary power connectors"

Back
Top Bottom