In need of a new laptop

jarlmaster

In Runtime
Hey guys,

So my laptop is on its way out and at some point soon I will need to get a new one. Any recommendations? I'm looking for the following:

1. An easily removable hard drive. This is critical. Whatever I buy, I will be taking out its hard drive and putting in the SSD that I have in my laptop currently.

2. An i3 processor at least and 8 gb of ram.

3. Great battery life. I'm a vet student. I am in class literally all day and need it to last as long as possible.

4. A keyboard with good travel, similar to a dell laptop keyboard. I absolutely abhor chiclet keys. I want real keys with depth not that crap.

5. Preferably a mousepad with physical left and right click. REALLY makes a world of difference.

6. No bigger than 15.6 inches. It doesn't have to be particularly light or thin but I don't want some huge laptop to lug around.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hmm not sure about the harddrive, as I haven't removed mine, but my HP Stream works fine for me, Schooling, Gaming, and Teamspeak3Client. But on the other hand I don't know my specs, so I'd have to tell you to look into it :D I know nothing about computers if you can't tell :p :lol:

Well this is a good place to learn! The Stream has been discontinued as far as I can tell, nor is it what I am looking for in the first place. But I appreciate the suggestion!

Well this is a good place to learn! The Stream has been discontinued as far as I can tell, nor is it what I am looking for in the first place. But I appreciate the suggestion!
Hmm I didn't know it was discontinued. I just got mine around August. But anyways sorry if I made a bad suggestion :p, im learning.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

And also it was light, and pretty compact, figured might aswell get 1 thing that you are looking for :D

Lenovo Z50 possibly? Or am I 6 months out of date... xP

I've got a Medion with an i5, 6GB RAM, dedicated Geforce 825M GPU and the HDD was easily removable to fit my own SSD (I did check with them, the warranty is still valid on the other parts).

Keyboard isn't brilliant though (quite soft rather than positive keystrokes), battery life is max 4 hours really (though you can get external laptop batteries like you can for a phone), and the mouse touchpad is one unit which has the click at the bottom of the touchpad... doesn't quite fit the bill in that respect. But I paid 339GBP for the laptop, so at least you've got an idea of what you should be paying!

Last edited:
Well I've looked at some very well specced lenovo laptops at reasonable prices. They have 1920 by 1080 screens too which is pretty awesome. The main thing I need to make sure is that the HDD is easily removable. So far its looking like Lenovo if someone can confirm that aspect. But I'll check out medion too

Budget is about 600 max. If I find something really good I'll make an exception to go a little higher I guess. I want to keep it in the mid 500 range if possible. I don't like AMD processors. Especially their laptop cpus which are completely inferior. So no. It's not really an option unless there is something really great with a GOOD AMD laptop processor. The A series are not my ideal chip choice.

Personally I would go with Dell mainly for their phone support and their1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support. If you have a Windows 7 or 8.1 operating system with a valid product number then buy without a preinstalled OS. You order a Dell to your own spec, downside is that it will take 5 to 7 days to deliver. Or go to PC World where the guys are supposed to be knowledgable about computers (some are some aren't.) Bottom line is if you pay budget prices you will get a budget computer. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are aware of that fact.

Back
Top Bottom