Need a new graphics card but dont know whats compatible!

Vics

Beta member
Hey all i am really sorry if this has been asked before i cant find the answer i need.
I have a self built system : Asus M2V motherboard (BIOS as original)
AMD athlon duel core processor
2GB RAM
Running XP home SP3

It had a nvidia geforce 7100 gs card which has blown a capacitor :/ And i have scoured the internet and shops and am unable to find one to replace it and so i am now wondering what i can put in my pc. I spend alot of my time on the internet and play internet games occasionallyy and well to be honest i would be quite happy to replace like with like as i worked beautifully for what i needed but hey ho.

Would really appreciate some help here as i have no idea (yes i know i built the pc) but think i have been lucky as i have very limited knowlegde ........ebuyer basically told me what i needed lol

Thanks for your help x

Since your motherboard is pretty old, and it still uses the AGP slot, this is probably the best video card you can get: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100288L Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card

That card will handle everything your old one did and more.

If you have the time and money to devote to a more substantial upgrade, let us know. I know money can be tight, but you can build a completely new system to replace that one for a lot less than you'd assume (and yes, just about ANYONE can build a PC - it's not difficult)

Heya thank you so much, i know that my original card was placed in the PCI-Express slot on the motherboard so i dont know whether that makes any difference to the cards I can put in it!
Lol i know it's very old have considered upgrading my PC only cost me £250 originally so i thought that was a good bargin being that it wasn't the worst hardware i could have put in it!! :)

Will have to wait for some money before starting a fresh and having found some good deals on some factory built systems i had considered saving myself the hassle although i enjoyed building my own and have had no trouble with my own system since i built it 5 yrs ago! :) So hopefully started the same way i mean to go on lol :)

Will certainly get on here for some advice when i do finally decide i have enough spare cash to upgrade :) Thank you x

That's odd. My initial searches on your board only showed an AGP slot. So my advice is completely invalid. You have pretty much any choice of video card when it comes to PCI Express cards. Just find one that fits your budget, feel free to ask for recommendations on cards if you need any.

Ahh cool well the reason i asked in the first instance is that whilst trawling about trying to work out what out of the many may work, i came across a forum that suggest that this motherboard had issues with certain levels of cards (i was looking up nvidia cards) and suggested that it wouldn't take 2.0 cards only 1.0a (please correct me if i am wrong on that!) And something to do with backwards compatibility which caused an unstable system or just failed to work althogether!
Well after 2 weeks of trying to work this out i have one last place to try and then i think it's a rebuild.......am beginning to love my husbands laptop as i am a mess without some form of technology infront of me lol! Thanks guys for all your help. oooo and if i start a new build is it best to start with board or cpu? I cant remember what i started with last time!!! lol was 5 yrs ago and i have slept alot since then :) hee hee x

Ok well my last port of call failed miserably! :(
So I have been looking into a new system! I am on low buget but have come up with this......how does it sound to you all??

Motherboard: ASRock N68C-S
CPU: AMD Athlon ll AM3 Quad core x4 640
RAM: 2G
HDD: 500GB SATA 2
The graphics is all intergrated and seems fit for what i want :) And the other thing i wished to know is would a case with a 200w PSU do all this happily or should i look for something a little more meaty :)

Sorry for being so sappy it's just i would love a top end top notch pc but funds just dont stretch lol and well i wouldn't want to spend all that money and then get it all wrong!!:) Anyway some feedback would be great ty xx

Back
Top Bottom