Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Need new computer, but how much do I need?

Hi all. I will try to keep this short so it is not too boring, but basically I have a 6 year old desktop and it is time to upgrade. It's not really horribly slow, but it's time So while I do use it mainly for surfing the net and for keeping my photos organized, I am starting to take a lot more photos and video now because of our new baby. So I will be doing more video and photo editing. I don't play any games though so don't need a real high powered one. So here is the deal. I used to be an IT guy, so am still up on computers, but probably not as much as I was 5 years ago or so. The past 3 desktops I have ordered from Dell and always tend to add a little more than I need because $20 here and $50 there doesn't seem like much but then it adds up! So first I was considering a laptop, but then thought that wouldnt be good for my main computer. The ones I used to have for work seemed like a lot would go wrong with them and they didn't last, and you can get a lot more for the money in a desktop. While it might be convenient to move around, I still like working on the bigger screen, so Im thinking maybe getting a desktop, and then a netbook or something if i just want it to surf the net around the house.

So I guess the point now is that if I don't need all the little extras, I wouldnt mind saving the money this time. I do want at least 6 GB of RAM, so really the processor and the video card is what I am wondering what I need. Is a core i-3 processor with integrated graphics sufficient? Or will I notice much different with a faster processor? Is a graphics card needed for just doing video editing of HD files shot with a camcorder? I have always had Dells and Intel processors, but then I noticed this at Costco the other day and that price is great, but is this system decent?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11536402&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+40 00000&eCat=BC|84|56671&N=4017755 4294898627&Mo=3&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Pric e|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

Thanks in advance.

jm667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46
Default Re: Need new computer, but how much do I need?

Welcome to CF!
the link you sent is a list of Computers?
Would you willing to build your own?

VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Solid State Member
Default Re: Need new computer, but how much do I need?

Oh sorry, I didnt realize it didnt work. Its the Gateway with AMD Phenom II X4 Quad CoreProcessor 820 (2.80GHz) and 6GB RAM and integrated graphics card, 23" monitor for $675. I don't really want to build one. I was going to do that once and figured I wasnt saving much so I just bought one. I need a new bigger monitor anyways.
jm667 is offline   Reply With Quote