Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-31-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Need to move partitions around in Windows..what's the best partitioner?

Well..pretty cut and dry...I need to resize and create some partitions from a hdd that HAS files on it....I've heard the windozzzze utility sucks so what should I go with..the only one I've ever heard of was partition magic...any thoughts??

Thanks in advance and a happy New Year 2008!

Zac

Old 12-31-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Need to move partitions around in Windows..what's the best partitioner?

partition magic is great, you can get a free trial too. ive had to do some major re partioning and i used that, worked liked a charm and didnt screw anything up like i was afraid of good luck!

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Need to move partitions around in Windows..what's the best partitioner?

partition magic is pretty good ^
its screwed me over a few times, but thats usually because the hdd's are f**ked.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

run an error checking program (like chkdisk) before screwing with your partitions.
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

partition magic also has an error checking thing, but from experience it just tells you it has too many errors to carry on, so yea i wouldnt bother with that and id use the windows xp error checking
Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
In Runtime

partition magic is great but doesnt work with vista, assuming you have vista. otherwise you would need to boot into a linux Live disk and do it that way.
sccrbrandon4788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

no im still happily running XP..VERY happily i might add..i hate vista..but that's not for this thread lol...

thanks...um about the chkdisk utility how do i go about running that..do i need the OS cd?
Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

G-Parted works real well too. Never gave me any problems.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

ah yes..i've heard thats good..i've used other another linux partitioner can't remember the name but....anyways..would would be more "error free"...linux or partition magic?...

um for linux live distros i have the new sabayon beryl, kubuntu and fedora...i think fedora would let me do partitions tho..if i remember correctly...some access or mounting thing and i don't know how to mount so i don't wanna mess with that..i know that sabayon is extremely user friendly..i've toyed with that a bit and i didn't have to do anything to get it to recognize my partitions..i could access all my files with out install right from the live cd!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to joe pic Send a message via MSN to joe pic Send a message via Yahoo to joe pic

i had a lot of trouble with partition magic, i didn't find out it doesn't work with vista until after i tried 4 times going through hell

i tried g parted, that worked great. i didn't understand how to use it but googled some guides and didn't have a problem

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

joe pic is offline   Reply With Quote