Need motherboard recommendations

cldd5678

Baseband Member
Hey, I'm going to upgrade my motherboard and other parts, but I am absolutely stumped. I'm looking to preferably spend under $150, and $200 maximum. It has to be ATX, LGA775 and support Core 2 Quad. Also, if there is an option to let me reuse 2GB of DDR2 533MHz RAM that would be great, if not no biggy. Oh and all of this is in Canadian dollars.

Also I'm a bit iffy on this as I really don't want to spend the extra money, but do you think that a 470W PSU will be enough to support 4GB RAM, a Q6600(possibly overclocked), a 9600GT, some USB devices, WD Caviar HDD, Soundblaster Card, and two network cards? If not then I've got one lined up to buy, but I'd rather not.

Lastly, for fellow Canadians what do you think are the best online computer stores to buy from, or the best in the GTA(specifically Hamilton area)?

Thanks and if you need any more info just let me know. Much appreciated.

Ya it's a Thermaltake TR2 and I've had no complaints so far.

the 400w requirement AR listed is for the whole system, not just the 9600GT (it draws about 200w tops), so you should be good with just about any single gpu card with that psu...

this is a good motherboard that's a little more expensive...

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L

you really can't go wrong with either one though...

I wouldn't recommend buying from ASUS. They have virtually NO customer support. Their motherboards are riddled with errors in my experience.

My P5Q Pro motherboard I just bought was defective.

My brothers shorted out within 2 months.

My other brothers' has had 3 separate technical problems with it and the USB ports started failing all over it.

Save yourself from ASUS, I'd recommend Gigabyte or something.

I full heartedly support the choice of the Gigabyte EP45-DS3L. My motherboard from ASUS arrived defective, and a power surge caused a short in the motherboard which led to a burnt spot on the motherboard. They say they won't take it back in such a scenario. The motherboard was already screwed before the burn anyways. I have that very Gigabyte motherboard saved in 'My Favorites' if Newegg doesn't give me my replacement.

Back
Top Bottom