Need more memory?

The 5.0/15.9 Committed number in the chart above shows the amount of memory currently committed (5.0) and the total available (15.9) which represents the total amount of RAM + the pagefile size.

That makes sense as the 15.9 remained constant though I filled the physical memory.

AMD, The performance after I turned off the paging file was significant. The memory is faster than the drive as you know that but some of the programs expected the paging file to be present in order to run.

That makes sense as the 15.9 remained constant though I filled the physical memory.

AMD, The performance after I turned off the paging file was significant. The memory is faster than the drive as you know that but some of the programs expected the paging file to be present in order to run.
That sounds like something I should try.

Why did some programs require that to be enabled? Maybe there wasn't enough space left?

I think it's the way they were coded. The swap file were common in Windows especially in the early days where physical memory were at a premium.

It's a holdover nowadays.

By the way, I browsed on this and found an interesting fact that adding physical memory cuts down on swapping. That had me thinking WTF? I have memory not used so why not use it ??

Last edited:
I think it's the way they were coded. The swap file were common in Windows especially in the early days where physical memory were at a premium.

It's a holdover nowadays.

By the way, I browsed on this and found an interesting fact that adding physical memory cuts down on swapping. That had me thinking WTF? I have memory not used so why not use it ??
Sorry I think I misunderstood. Why is that surprising?

Swapping is only for when you run out of main memory. It's only logical that when you add more, there is going to be less swapping. Did you mean something else?

No, it uses swapping not because it's low on memory it's because of coding. I have over half of my mems not being used yet it's swapping.

From the looks of it, you don't need more memory. With such a small (relatively) page pool adding more memory, won't really do much. On the other hand, you might be able to eke out some extra performance with higher clocked memory. If your board can handle it...

From the looks of it, you don't need more memory. With such a small (relatively) page pool adding more memory, won't really do much. On the other hand, you might be able to eke out some extra performance with higher clocked memory. If your board can handle it...
That's a valid idea, but I don't think it's worth replacing all your RAM for a couple hundred Mhz.

No I'm not worrying about memory anymore but I read an article that adding memory increase memory usage even though the memory wasn't filled before.

I find that weird.

Back
Top Bottom