Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Need a little help.

Okay, first off, I'm stupid when it comes to hardware. I can troubleshoot plenty of software issues but I might as well be looking at a car when it comes to hardware. Just letting you know before I started asking questions :P

Aaaaanyways. I want to upgrade my graphics card for a specific game but there are some problems.

My desktop is a Pavilion Slimline s5 -1010. And the power supply is only 220W. If anyone has any experience upgrading this desktop, then awesome! Because the only upgrade advice I've been able to find on google is "Don't buy it in the first place". Too late.

I'm Okay with getting a new case and PSU, assuming everything else fits and it all costs below $300, any more than that and I'll just buy an entire build and give this one to my niece or something :P

The specs

The game I'm aiming for is Tribes Ascend. Nothing big like Skyrim or MW3. Can already handle SC2, TF2 and LoL. The only reason I bought this pc in the first place was because my old one got hit by lightening.....twice. Strong little bastard. And at the time I had no way to buy online and I live in the middle of nowhere, didn't have many options :/

DiVarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Need a little help.

You could get a new case. The board inside that slimline is a Micro ATX board.

A case and PSU will be less than $300.

OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
In Runtime

should be less than 300 for a simple case and psu but i recommend not going cheap on the psu though. a nice antec, corsair, rosewill will take you a long ways compared to the less expensive brands
Macmaster4k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmaster4k2 View Post
should be less than 300 for a simple case and psu but i recommend not going cheap on the psu though. a nice antec, corsair, rosewill will take you a long ways compared to the less expensive brands
+1 for Win. Cannot ever understate the need for a good power supply vs the cheapo $25 blocks that think they're power supplies.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote