Need immediate HELP - Sale at Best Buy thru Saturday (tomorrow)

jakeny

Baseband Member
Asus VivoBook X540SA 15.6" Laptop - Intel Pentium - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive Silver X540SA-BPD0602V - Best Buy

HP 19.5" All-In-One - AMD E2-Series - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive White V8P23AA#ABA - Best Buy

First link is to a laptop on Sale at Best Buy (through Saturday/tomorrow).

Is it any good?

I was going to originally buy a Chromebook OR the HP All-in-One desktop in the second link.

How would that ASUA laptop in first link compare to the HP in second link? Would the $100 difference be worth it? Again, I only need a computer for web surfing, email, reading/writing MS WORD docs, and watching YouTube. Nothing else...no other uses.

If you can comment on this before tomorrow afternoon that'd be super awesome, thank you!

First off, never rush into a purchase because it's on sale if you haven't done the research on the product and already decided to buy it.
Second, I personally avoid Best Buy because of their return policy.
Third, you can probably find it elsewhere for the same or less, most retailers have sales when manufturures give price breaks, so several sales happen at the same time.
I like buying from Amazon because of the free shipping, one or two day delivery and the easy returns. I also like things coming to me instead of chasing around town making purchases. I buy everything from them except groceries. I do buy some groceries from them but not fresh produce, meat or frozen goods. They are great for deodorant, shampoo, and everything else though.

Despite Technician's excellent caveats, in order to answer your question about which is better we'd need to know if you NEED portability/mobility?

The Asus is a laptop while the HP is a all-in-one desktop. That's comparing apples to donuts. The HP has a larger screen with higher resolution, twice as much disk space (also 7200rpm vs 5400rpm for Asus). The HP specs mention Bluetooth, the Asus doesn't. The cpus are fairly well matched but CPU Boss gives the nod to the Intel in the Asus. However, you can't take the HP with you like you can the Asus.

If you need the portability\mobility of the laptop then go for that otherwise, I'd go with the HP for the additional disk space and larger screen with higher resolution.

Despite Technician's excellent caveats, in order to answer your question about which is better we'd need to know if you NEED portability/mobility?

The Asus is a laptop while the HP is a all-in-one desktop. That's comparing apples to donuts. The HP has a larger screen with higher resolution, twice as much disk space (also 7200rpm vs 5400rpm for Asus). The HP specs mention Bluetooth, the Asus doesn't. The cpus are fairly well matched but CPU Boss gives the nod to the Intel in the Asus. However, you can't take the HP with you like you can the Asus.

If you need the portability\mobility of the laptop then go for that otherwise, I'd go with the HP for the additional disk space and larger screen with higher resolution.
He told you what he needs exactly. "Again, I only need a computer for web surfing, email, reading/writing MS WORD docs, and watching YouTube. Nothing else...no other uses."
For that, I'd recommend a chromebook. It does what he wants without taking up desk space when it's not in use.

Thanks for the CPU comparison.

I don't need portability right now, but PRICE is a big deal to me, so the $100 difference (for now) would be a significant factor.

By January, I'll be working and could afford a new computer, so I will be looking into long-term options then. :) I'll probably create a new thread then with what is an ideal computer for long-term.

Right now, I still have bills to pay for a few months (and am not working and using mom and dad's money:lol:), but still need a computer since it's a hassle not having one immediately and having to always go to the school's labs/libraries.

I think the ASUS would be a great value for me if it's got comparable CPU - if not better - performance and can do everything I want. I admit, the screen is not ideal at all. It almost feels blurry compared to the quality of laptop screen I had in the past. But I only need it for three months. It'll probably be a decent back-up computer for me afterwards. It'd be nice to have a MAIN computer that's got ideal specs and then have the back-up laptop that's cheap just in case something happens to my main computer.

I'd rather spend that extra $100 difference on my FUTURE main computer.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

He told you what he needs exactly. "Again, I only need a computer for web surfing, email, reading/writing MS WORD docs, and watching YouTube. Nothing else...no other uses."
For that, I'd recommend a chromebook. It does what he wants without taking up desk space when it's not in use.

Chromebook doesn't have an ethernet port, though. I'd have to buy an adapter (yes, only $20 or so), but that'd make the cost practically equal to the ASUS.

Off to Best Buy for me, Technician and Strollin. Thank you two for the emergency help!

I will of course blame you two if my ASUS falls apart in the next three months!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom