Need help with very old computer

dan0512

Beta member
Today I was at the recycling place, and I was able to scavenge a lot of stuff, to build a computer. It goes like this-

Unknow mobo (socket 7)
Cyrix 150 Mhz CPU
C3 graphics card
1 GB HD
Floppy drive
RAM
CD drive

The first problem I encountered, was when I tried to boot the computer, but the jumper settings for the cyrix CPU were not right. I corrected them, and now it boots (to the BIOS at least)

I entered the BIOS, loaded the defaults, and "preformated" the hard drive, to ready it for a new windows install.

A friend was kind, and gave me the recover diskette, and the installation cd of windows ME..

Now, here's where the problems start to show up...

It can't boot from the CD (failure), but the CD drive is recognized by the BIOS.

It won't from the HD as well (obvious).

*In the BIOS, I set it to boot from ATAPI CD-ROM, C:, or A:

When I insert the diskette, it tells me wheter I want to boot with/out help from CD.

Problem #1-

When I accept "start with help from CD", it tries to install a driver for the CD drive, but says the drive can't be found, and therefore aborts the installation.

Problem #2-

If I accept "start without help from CD", it says that the HD is not FAT32 partioned, so I run "A:>fdisk" to partition it. I partition it, accept, and run "A:>format c:", but it says that is not supported.

What's wrong with this rig? any help would be appreciated...

*I also managed to find a 233 P2 machine, but no RAM. Does anyone know what RAM a P2 would use?

Dan

Perhaps a bad drive? I donno, but I don't think Windows ME will run on that - it's a major resource hog compared to the other Windows versions. I would try Windows 98.

oh woah, you cant install ME on a 1gig hard drive, youll have no space left Thats a problem right there

Then 150 MHz? You wont be able to run squat

spank_fusion said:
Perhaps a bad drive? I donno, but I don't think Windows ME will run on that - it's a major resource hog compared to the other Windows versions. I would try Windows 98.

We tried 2 different CD drives, and like 5 hard drives, but it still won't go. We'll try to install Windows 3.1 first, and then upgrade from there.

Dan

*you guys know if this thing is OCable?

u seriously will never get windows 98 on there and i dont think it would even run 95 so y even bother theres no way u'll be able to do anything with it

Back
Top Bottom