Need help with upgrading...

waldofoo

Beta member
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my computer and need a little bit of help. Here is my current rig:

CPU: P4 2.8GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte P4 Titan Series 848p
RAM: 1G Kingston DDR2
VidCard: Winfast GeForce FX5700
HD: 80 GB (don't know brand)

Now, here is my problem. I wan't to upgrade my graphics card to a GeForce 7600GT which look to be superb value for money. However, my current motherboard does not support PCI-e, which the 7600GT requires.

I have 2 options. I could get a Radeon X800XL AGP which would certaintly boost my computers performance. However I'm not sure if this is a worthy investment seeing as how PCI-e is going to become the new standard for graphics cards, and also that the X800XL is now more than a year old with less features than even current low to mid-range cards (such as HDR and shader technologies).

My second option is to replace my motherboard and get the 7600GT. Price is an issue however, and currently where I live (Australia) the X800XL and the 7600GT are roughly the same price.

So my question is: Is it worth me upgrading the motherboard and getting a 7600GT or will I see a similar increase in performance by purchasing the X800XL AGP?

Something I have to add which may sway your opinions is that I actually have 1.5G of RAM installed inside the computer. However, the three 512MB sticks of Ram are double sided. I have been told that my motherboard will only register 4 sides of ram. I have three slots for RAM in my motherboard, and as such my third slot has become useless as the motherboard has already registered 4 sides of RAM in the first two slots. Now I'm not 100% sure if what I've been told is true, but if it is then it means it might just be worth me upgrading the whole lot.

Thanks in advance guys, any help would be greatly appreciated.

i think it would be best to save for a new comp because intels conroe cpu is just coming out and pci-e is the standard now also with directx 10 coming out soon agp will be completely useless

I agree with the above poster - you should save your money. It's really not worth buying AGP anymore as it will be a waste of money in the long run. I think it would be best, since you said money is an issue, just to save up until you can get a new motherboard, video card and CPU and maybe even RAM (depending on which CPU you choose to upgrade to) and do everything at once. Because just upgrading your video card now, will be a short term benefit, but a long term waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom