need help recovering my partition

jopache11

Solid State Member
so yesterday i had 200+ gigs worth of stuff on an ntfs partition labeled storage, then i restarted my computer and everything was gone, the drive is no longer labeled "storage" my computer says i have to format the drive if i want to use it. if i try to go to the command prompt and chkdsk it, it says "the type of file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives. if i try to right click it in my computer and check for errors there, it simply does nothing, the data isn't critical or anything, but it would be nice to get it back, this is the second Seagate hard drive ive had driving me crazy within the past month.

Have ya tried the diagnostic tools from the seagate website? Ya could run a recovery program like getdataback etc

i'll try the seagate tools, i installed paragon partition manager and it seems both partitions on the drive are "invalid" (but windows has no problems booting from and seeing my C: drive, the primary active partition)

edit: i couldnt figure out how to fix it using partition manager(or if it can even be fixed.)

so its went wrong since using a partition utility? ya probs screwed ya mbr. Boot from ya xp cd and use the fixmbr command in recovery console, that might get it back

Raffaz said:
so its went wrong since using a partition utility? ya probs screwed ya mbr. Boot from ya xp cd and use the fixmbr command in recovery console, that might get it back
no, i installed the partition utility after I started having the problems..

Seagate tools results

File structure tests failed on both partitions:

partition1: the active and primary parition w/ winxp on it said : there are one or more errors found in metadata file records.

partition2: (the part. that disappeared, and is now an empty, unformatted, "raw" drive) says : basic structure corruption

seagate tools did not give any kinds of options to fix the problems though.

any software out there that checks the integrity/structure of your parition tables, or anything that could help me out?

I think ya have probably lost the chance of getting ya drive back. But it should be possible to get the data back using a spare HDD and some recovery software like getdataback (there are 2 versions of this tho, 1 for FAT and 1 for NTFS)

Back
Top Bottom