Need help picking the right parts for build

timmy5000

Beta member
Hi there,

I am building a computer for the first time, I just need help picking the right parts. I was wondering can someone please help me pick?

I am looking forward to a high-performance and high-end build because I do a lot of multi-tasking, e-mailing, web browsing, video editing, web developing (Coding as well), watching movies, and run many heavy programs like malwarebytes, Photoshop, Camtasia and iTunes. I would like the latest technologies and here are some stuff I came up with:

Mid Tower Case
Windows 8 or 8.1 as OS
Intel Processor but not sure which one.

I'm not into gaming but look forward to a good graphics thing for better movie quality and stuff.

Budget: $700-$1700

I would highly appreciate your help.

Well you don't need a super high end computer to run them program's but I do suggest going for an amd fx 8320 instead of intel because you could benefit from the 8 cores :)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Agree with rowcon 123. As for a video card goes? Get a Radeon HD 7850 with a big fan / cooler on. Now a days, you can get it cheap. Have totally o.k. power for both midrange gaming and the things you are into. And buy a mid tower that takes at least 2 x 120 mm fans. This way you will have good cooling and less noise. At least a 500W powersupply from Corsair for example are needed too. A powersupply with detachable cables will reduce the cable clutter inside the box, as there always will be some of them that you wont be using.

Antec and CoolerMaster cases are nice.

A Gigabyte motherboard is my tip.

2 X 4 gigabyte of DDR 3 RAM should be sufficient. More RAM than that are overkill.

Dont forget to get an antistatic wristlet ! Static electrisity can kill or damage computer hardware.

Last edited:
Thank you very very much guys. I highly appreciate it. Do you guys have any other tips for me with the parts?

This will be more than enough for gaming

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xion XON-560 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $974.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

$700 - $1700 is a huge range for a budget. You will need to narrow that to get more useful recommendations.

If you're doing video editing and rendering, you need a lot of horsepower. I would go with an i7-4770, K series if you're going to overclock. If you want to get closer to the $700 mark, an FX-8320 would do just fine. It performs very well in heavily threaded workloads.

If you're not gaming, the integrated graphics that the i7 offers will be more than enough.

I would upgrade the cpu to the 760K instead of the 750k

I dont know if it's worth it really? Performance vise, you will hardly notice the difference in dayly computing. And a 400Mhz overclock is easily done even using the stock cooler if needed? At least if you have a decent air flow thru the case?

Last edited:
I dont know if it's worth it really? Performance vise, you will hardly notice the difference in dayly computing. And a 400Mhz overclock is easily done even using the stock cooler if needed? At least if you have a decent air flow thru the case?
yes you could easily overclock it but wy do that if you can spend the extra$20 get the 760K then have the potential to overclock even higher. I think it is worth it just because it has a better memory controller being a Richland instead of Trinity

Back
Top Bottom