Need help picking out a vcard

As helpful as you've been in this topic... You did come off as pretty hostile and defensive for that particular case. Just sayin... A little less aggression will avoid conflict.

hostile...? no one on this site has ever seen me hostile, :D , this is the internet, people need to grow thicker skin and accept that they're wrong sometimes, a little common sense would never hurt either...

Can someone tell me if the Radeon 9000 64MB is better than a geforce 4mx440? I found the radeon for $5. I also found a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB for $40. This is from a local trade site, so there is no shipping or taxes whatsoever. I think the x1650 would be great for WoW, but I'm unsure if my psu can handle it. I know it isn't super new by any means but still, my psu seems to be the weakest part of my system.

Radeon 9000 = super old bottom of the line card. Leave that alone.

x1650 is old as well. Not a bad card but wait for a decent one.

Radeon 9000 = super old bottom of the line card. Leave that alone.

x1650 is old as well. Not a bad card but wait for a decent one.

I see. mx440 is bottom of the barrel too, I just kinda thought that the 9000 might be the lesser evil of the two hehehe.

*edit*

Okay here's an idea, and you guys might like this one best of all, but I need to know something first. You know how certain hardware requires a certain level of PSU? Does PSU require anything? From the mobo or anything like that? Or is it safe to just go out and buy a completely pwnage psu and a pwnage video card to go with my current rig?

I might have $300 coming in, and I thought maybe I should buy a higher end psu and vcard, put them in my current rig, and then just use them in my next one. What do you all think?

You could do that. You will have a load of unused cables to deal with though.
Unused as in.... extra cables to store in my closet? Or cables that are gonna bog up my tower?

And just so I'm clear before I purchase anything, it's 100% safe to buy, say, a 700w psu and an hd5770 for example in my current system? No blowing of my mobo, no frying of my cpu or anything else unexpected?

You will be fine. I had a computer that draws 60w on a 1010w psu. It only draws what it needs.

unused as in, your tower will look like the first Iron Man unless you figure out a way to deal with them. There's usually waaaay too many to loop behind the mobo tray.

You will be fine. I had a computer that draws 60w on a 1010w psu. It only draws what it needs.

unused as in, your tower will look like the first Iron Man unless you figure out a way to deal with them. There's usually waaaay too many to loop behind the mobo tray.

Ugh, I better learn how to do this then, I'm not exactly willing to pay $80/hr for someone to hook up a psu...

Ugh, I better learn how to do this then, I'm not exactly willing to pay $80/hr for someone to hook up a psu...

it's like legos, everything just fits, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't belong there, the psu plugs are also usually marked anyway...

the Corsair HX series psus are some of the best out there and if you're not gonna have much to plug up, the fact that it's modular will help with cable clutter, some of the Antecs (also top of the line psus) are also semi modular, with the main plugs hardwired and peripheral plugs modular...

it's like legos, everything just fits, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't belong there, the psu plugs are also usually marked anyway...

the Corsair HX series psus are some of the best out there and if you're not gonna have much to plug up, the fact that it's modular will help with cable clutter, some of the Antecs (also top of the line psus) are also semi modular, with the main plugs hardwired and peripheral plugs modular...

Yeah I got it. I couldn't get them out before, thinking that they were gonna either come out easily, or have a button like a seatbelt. I wasn't aware you just have to pull kinda hard to get them out.

Since I have an old computer hangin around, perhaps I can practice. This old junker pc has (i think) a better psu than my current one, maybe I should switch them.

It says its a 430w, and it says +12v 18A on the first line of the output section, which iirc was the same as the other. So it's safe to say that the 430 is better than my current 300w, right? Seems kinda obvious, but I'm pretty insecure about this.

On a side note, I often see video tutorials where people touch something metal, and it's called either Discharging, or "earthing" yourself. I assume this is to remove electricity on your body? Does anything metal work? If I had to guess, I would say that they do this because if you touch a pc component while you're full of static electricity, it has a chance to damage it. Am I right or way off?

That is grounding yourself. Yes it discharges static. Plug the psu in, then touch it and you are grounded.

What model is this 430w? I have never heard of one with such low amperage on the 12v rail, which leads me to believe it is either dual-rail or terrible build quality.

Back
Top Bottom