Need help overclocking my ASUS

kobe4mvp

Beta member
I would like to overclock my computer but there is a slight problem. Whenever I go to my bios, the "frequency Multiplier" is locked and I can't access it. It says in order to change the settings, I have to set my motherboard to "jumperfree mode." How do I do this? Please help.

What motherboard and processor do you have? New processors (Aside from the AMD FX series) have locked multipliers - this makes it impossible to increase the multiplier above the set value. (You can, however, lower the multiplier) It is more typical to increase the FSB frequency in order to obtain an overclock. Using my Pentium 4 as an example - the multiplier is locked at 15 - with my FSB being 200MHz. 200MHz x 15 = 3000MHz. But I increased the FSB to 227MHz (227 x 15 = 3405). This is just one example of how overclocking is achieved in processors where the multiplier is locked.

I have a Intel Celeron 1.7ghz..This computer is pretty old. I bought it in 2001-2002 or around that year. My motherboard is a ASUS P4BGL-MX Socket 478. Do I have to open up my computer to configure something or is it not possbile for me to change the frequecy multiplier?

You cannot change the multiplier - but you can change the FSB frequency. However, it is important that you are careful when working with overclocking a processor, since there are risks involved. You simply need to change the frequency that is being multiplied - the FSB.

Don't bother overclocking that Celeron, it won't overclock well and the bit that it does is not worth the increased temperature/voltages and the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom