need help with a new laptop

digs27

Solid State Member
i just got a new toshiba laptop and there is all these free trials and other crap that i wanna get rid of. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this and mabey what to get rid of or better yet what not to get rid of
thanks

Most computer's come with pre-loaded deals, but you can just move the icons from the desktop to your documents folder if you think you might want to use them later.

If your shure you want to get rid of something, you can just use the remove/add icon in the control panel to get rid of the one's you don't want.
the program's you are not shure about, i would just test them out, if you find it's something later on you don't like..just un-install it.

Yeah, I hate the crap that comes pre-loaded on to most computers... To remove, try removing through Add/ Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Delete basically anything you think you don't need, just don't delete drivers if they are installed. That should work, but sometimes the stuff doesn't show up, SOoooo... then download a spyware/ ad scanner/ remover. This should take care of it. Let me know how it goes!

If you want, do what I do. If you want to keep the programs just in case, like my Dell support, just keep it from starting automatically and using resources. Just go to msconfig (type msconfig in Start > Run). Google each process that you can't determine, but if you know everything, I suggest keeping only Windows processes (usually located in the Windows or system32 folder), any anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall processes, drivers, and any software that you require to start automatically. From there, you should have a streamlined startup, if that's what you are looking for.

Or you can do what Mr Mixx said and just remove it altogether from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Most of that stuff you don't need anyway. Hope this helps.

Jervin - problem with that is that while you have removed the program from running, you still have the files on your PC.

Another option, which is slightly less 'clean', is to stop their processes and then simply delete their files.

prosser13 said:
Jervin - problem with that is that while you have removed the program from running, you still have the files on your PC.

Another option, which is slightly less 'clean', is to stop their processes and then simply delete their files.

Yeah, but that was an alternative in case he wanted to keep the programs like I did but keep them from running. If he ever wanted to run it for one time, he could just go into Program Files and start the program manually. I threw that in just in case he wanted to keep those files in case he needed them.

i definatly want to do something about them because i have 57 processes running and i think that is too much. Another thing i wanted to ask was my colege told me to download a free trial of a virus protect program like norton or semantic to hold me over until i get there. any suggestions on a good one.

thanks for the help

Well, I have been testing Avira, also known as Anti-Vir Personal Edition. I like it, and it gives you warnings as well as detections, and I like the GUI (graphic user interface) better. I would suggest getting that. Also, it is freeware, so free to install and no renewal costs. If you don't like that one, I recommend AVG Free Edition. That is what I currently use on my desktop, and I like that as well. The icon changes from colors to grayscale when you need to update, and if you have a constant internet connection, you can schedule the updater to run at a specified time during the day. Here are the links for each product:

Avira: http://www.free-av.com/

AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/

Back
Top Bottom