Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
In Runtime
Default need help making up my mind

ook so i was forced to buy a new oem disk of windowsxp with sp2 and i am currently running a 250 gig ide hd now i am waiting for my disk to come in the mail and i was thinking about updating to a sata 1.5(my mb won't take 3.0) and useing my ide as a storage. now i am not a hardcore computer gamer or anything. just love computers and do a lot of graphics with photoshop ect..... how much difference am i going to see going to sata? i have the money but should't spend it but i would rather do it now then have to reinstall windows again later. any comments will help?

desktop:MB:MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX/AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 95W Quad-Core Processor/8gigs corsair ram/corsair 650w power supply/Sapphire HD 5870 2GB/ 2tb hd space/ 4 120mm case fans
4thgradedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via MSN to prosser13
Default Re: need help making up my mind

The only difference moving to SATA really will be the increased speed due to drive technology moving on - you would get practically the same performance with a new IDE drive, but SATA is much easier to cable

SATA 3.0 drives are backwards compatible with SATA 1.5, they just cant' send the data at 300mps just 150mps, and this would give you a better upgrade path.
If I help you, I welcome Reputation Points to show your thanks. I won't forget it!
prosser13 is offline   Reply With Quote