need help with Internet explorer

MicRaDoT

Beta member
i just recently installed windows xp media center SP2 on my computer and everything installed right besides my internet explorer icon. there is no icon on my desktop for it and there is no way to open it up through the start menu. i have to open it by going to run and typing in iexplore. i was wondering if n e one no's how i can get an icon on my desktop for it. thx

First try clicking on start, Control panel, Internet options.
Click on Advanced. Scroll down to "Show Internet Explorer on desktop" and check the box. Click on Apply.

If your still not in any luck try these steps which are on the MS site.

1. Click Start, Run.
2. Type "regedit.exe" (Without quotes).
3. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

4. In the right hand pane, double-click {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} key.
5. Enter dword value as 0 to enable the Internet Explorer icon on the Desktop.

or..

Alternatively, create and run a .REG file.

1. Open Notepad (Click Start, Run, type notepad.exe)
2. Cut and Paste the below lines. (Ignore the Start from Here and End Here lines)

# Start from Here

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

# End Here

3. Save the file with an extension .REG and double-click it to add the Registry value.
4. Refresh (F5) the Desktop.

NOTE: The same registry file can be used in Windows Vista also.

Hope this helps :)

There is an easier way to do this. You can right click on the desktop. then you click new shortcut. Then browse Internet Explorer in my netwok places. If that doesnt work just do what he said.

There is an easier way to do this. You can right click on the desktop. then you click new shortcut. Then browse Internet Explorer in my netwok places. If that doesnt work just do what he said.

No respect... :rolleyes: As unusual as it is, Steff IS a girl.

Back
Top Bottom