Need help, HP pc new, with upgraded vid card

callen

Solid State Member
So I just bought a new HP desktop pavilion 6520f two days ago. It's got an amd athlon IIx4 635 processor, 2.9ghz, and 6 gigs of ram, however the video card was integrated. I bought a new 500w power supply, and put it in, in order to support my ati radeon 5750 1 gig vid card that I also installed. Now the video card runs so hot, I can only play games for about 10 minutes before the thing reboots. I bought the pc and the upgrades as a cheaper and less time consuming gaming pc, is there something I can do about the heat? Other than leaving the side off and having a desk fan blowing inside the case. Can I just do more fans on the case? or I've been looking at water cooling systems, are you able to install them in these pre-built pc's? Willing to listen to any suggestions, thanks for posting!

you should have plenty of power from the PSU you added. Its possible that the case you have isn't vented well enough to get enough air flow through your computer. I don't know what your HP case looks like. But I wouldn't think you would need a water cooling to solve your problem. Getting in to water cooling you'll wind up spending more than it you would have built it your self. Cause while water cooling isn't terribly expensive it can add up in a hurry.

It could be a venting problem. If its only blowing internal air out it might not be getting enough cool air in fast enough. I'm not sure how you would remedy this problem on a hp case.

Possible to get in to the front and put a intake fan to pull cool air in. Maybe one of the more experienced members will have a better idea. Or another reason as to why its shutting down. But it does sound like an over heat.

Don't toss the case. Just get some more airflow in the case. I'm a big fan of adding a slot fan for cases where a GPU might be running too hot - they get the air moving right where it needs to be moving out.

These guys are pretty standard, and I've still got a few that run just fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888309

I also have a PC with one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209016
and it seems to do fine as well, though the one up top gives me more air output.

Make sure you dust the case out often, and if adding the fan(s) doesn't help your situation, consider dusting the video card out as well, and all the other fans. There's no reason why a 5750 should be having overheating issues like you're describing.

To clarify my reason for saying to stick with the old case, most PC OEMs will not honor warranties if you move the PC outside of the case it shipped in. If your warranty is over and you don't need to worry about it (or just don't care) then moving to a new case would be fine.

thanks guys I really appreciate the help, og, the computer is maybe but a week old as well as the card so dust isn't yet a big problem or maybe it is? im not sure everything is new, the case itself is pretty compact with only one fan blowing out air, and no fans pulling air in. and with the warranty factor and the cost factor for the pci slot fans is certainly worth a try first and if not I prob will go with the antec, the led version is nice and sexy. so I ordered an 80mm fan for intake and 2 of the blower pci fans one for back up and one for primary, i will keep yall updated!

Back
Top Bottom