Need help with HDD and recovering files

ANTIHERO

Beta member
Recently my computer died, but fortunately enough my HDD is fine, but when i try to retrieve my files using an external usb bay, i can get the other users files, but not mine, it says access is denied, just wondering how i get around this, or if its even possible.

Thanks,
Will stoneman.

Did that user have a password to access their account??

If so, you will need to boot into safemode and log into the admin account. From there in the properties of the user's documents (right click it, and all that fun stuff) you should see "Securities". From there you will be able to take ownership of the files and be able to access them from any account.

im confused, so i boot the computer that the usb bay is plugged into into safemode, then access the HDD?

nope i think your main computer should do the trick then acess the usb drive from safe mode you could try booting safe mode from the usb and see what happens if you can boot from usb on your motherboard

you only need to boot into safe mode if you have xp home btw. just right click the folder, go to properties. then security, then advanced, then owner. then tick "replace owner"

Back
Top Bottom