Need Help with GPU Upgrades!

Vanthios

Solid State Member
I'm on a tablet, so I'm sorry for the dull and colorless post.
I want to upgrade my HP Envy (Model h8-1534), specifically the graphics card in it.
Here's the current specs, from HP's site:
Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570
1*-*DisplayPort
1-*HDMI
1- DVI
Form-Factor: Full Height ATX Bracket
2 GB onboard memory
Memory size: 128-bit
Memory type: DDR3
-Integrated graphics are not available on this motherboard.
A graphics card can be placed in the PCI Express x16 slot

I want something better, because when I play WoW on one monitor and try to watch a movie on the other, the graphics in WoW will sometimes break and get all square-like with rainbow colors. Also, GTA 4 has to be set to low graphics to reduce lag. What can I get to beat this?

Also, the PCI Express slot says x16, what version?!
HP's website didn't say!

That should work fine.

So if that's the case, what's the significance of a PCI 2.0/3.0 Port?
HP's website doesn't say if it's 2.0 or 3.0, it just says PCI-E x16. Does that mean any version of a PCI x16 GPU will fit?

Also, can you please explain to me what types of GPU RAM I need, or does it not matter?

So if that's the case, what's the significance of a PCI 2.0/3.0 Port?
HP's website doesn't say if it's 2.0 or 3.0, it just says PCI-E x16. Does that mean any version of a PCI x16 GPU will fit?

Also, can you please explain to me what types of GPU RAM I need, or does it not matter?

There is little to no difference in PCI-e 2.0 and 3.0. And also it is all backwards compatible. So if you only have a 2.0 PCI-e slot on your motherboard it will still take a 3.0 GPU.

In regards to GPU RAM, GDDR5 is your best bet and 2GB+ of total GPU physical memory would be better for eyefinity etc to be safe. But seeing has the card you linked is a 3GB version you should be fine :)

Another thing to keep in mind is the PSU. And this is quoted from the link of the GPU you linked, "500W (or greater) power supply with one 150W 8-pin and one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended".

Personally i wouldn't trust the 460W PSU that came with your system for any high end GPU. Saying that i just wouldn't trust it! Unless you have already upgraded your PSU then i would certainly look in to getting a new quality/branded one at least 500W. Corsair/XFX/Antec/Seasonic etc

Last edited:
I see. I looked into that and concluded that I'd need to buy a few more items along with this graphics card in order to run it.
This is what I have to run it in my system smoothly:
Corsair HX850w PSU (It's a little much, but why not have too much than not enough?)
Corsair Coolant Fans (Not sure how to connect those, but I'll surely need them!)
And the AMD GPU itself.

I feel that those two editions to the graphics card will supply a better internal temperature for the components.
Right now, my desktop is sitting in a desk, in a cabinet compartment. I keep the door to it open 24/7. Should I do anything else to make sure that nothing overheats? Or will the two Corsair fans keep it good?
I'm not sure how all the connections work, but I'm assuming that the Corsair HX850w should have the pin connectors for the GPU.
I'd hate to buy all that and still need more.

Also, I saw in a YouTube unboxing of the AMD 7970 that it came with it's own connectors. I wish it also showed how it was being connected to the motherboard, but I guess they give you the cords you need. (Are these cords trustworthy? Should I be buying something more? Does the Corsair HX850w supply the necessary cords for the GPU by chance?)

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure everything is compatible with my system before I go pay about $500 for upgrades.

Hello again,

And good choice on the Corsair HX850W PSU. It will have all the connectors you require and most GPU's do come with what's known as Molex to 6/8 pin GPU cables. But like i said it will have all you need :)

About the cooling. It's good that you are aware of all this and the best advice i can give is just keep an eye on temps once you get everything. I personally use Realtemp but i believe it may have problems with AMD CPU's. Try it or any other monitoring software such as Hardware Monitor etc.

Let us know when you have everything and fitted and how it all works out.

Have fun and i hope it all works out well for you ;)

Back
Top Bottom