Need help formating vista...

Jsy

Baseband Member
You think you know it all about computers until you hit vista...

Vista is by far the hardest OS freakin' install.

Hell EVEN OS X for mac is easier than vista!

Heres the problem. My retarded friend decided to get a laptop for his business as his main computer instead of a desktop (even though I told him a desktop is easier to fix, its more professional, and what tard buys a lappy for his first business)?

Again the retard doesn't listen to me and refuses to put an anti-virus program on there, but strongly insist that Ad-ware Spyware remover is his best friend and actually gets rid of all the virus off his computer.

Oh thats not all! It gets even better! Everyone that works for him and all his buddies get on his computer totally disrespecting the private property of another, especially that this is the very machine he runs his business on. Most of them surf the net about cars, then they shift-tab up to youtube to look at videos about cars, and then they all go to myspace and say to themselves "hey cars are cool lets mod our myspaces out with CARS!!! Even though it more than likely has a 100% chance of catching a virus!"

Sorry enough ranting.

I can't format vista. I had to download a copy of vista home premium (yes a legal copy this is a business here). The copy is in .UIF format. I figured out how to burn the sucker and then i pop the SOB into the computer and guess what?! NO FORMATING OPTIONS!!! I just get fifty ways on how to restore the POS machine. I'm completely lost! I haven't felt this lost since windows 98 with all the unexpected crashes that you would get for just opening up a word document, which made me go back to 95 ftw.

I've tried bootnuke a.k.a. Dban and it won't work because its a sata HDD. I'm about to try using linux, but i would try using XP to reformat it but i know you can fry your mobo doing that sometimes. *bangs head on keyboard*

Any help would be appreciated. Please only reply if you have ever reformatted vista.

Its a Toshiba Sat. L355-S7812

Please restore my sanity...

You think you know it all about computers until you hit vista...

Vista is by far the hardest OS freakin' install.

Hell EVEN OS X for mac is easier than vista!

Heres the problem. My retarded friend decided to get a laptop for his business as his main computer instead of a desktop (even though I told him a desktop is easier to fix, its more professional, and what tard buys a lappy for his first business)?

Again the retard doesn't listen to me and refuses to put an anti-virus program on there, but strongly insist that Ad-ware Spyware remover is his best friend and actually gets rid of all the virus off his computer.

Oh thats not all! It gets even better! Everyone that works for him and all his buddies get on his computer totally disrespecting the private property of another, especially that this is the very machine he runs his business on. Most of them surf the net about cars, then they shift-tab up to youtube to look at videos about cars, and then they all go to myspace and say to themselves "hey cars are cool lets mod our myspaces out with CARS!!! Even though it more than likely has a 100% chance of catching a virus!"

Sorry enough ranting.

I can't format vista. I had to download a copy of vista home premium (yes a legal copy this is a business here). The copy is in .UIF format. I figured out how to burn the sucker and then i pop the SOB into the computer and guess what?! NO FORMATING OPTIONS!!! I just get fifty ways on how to restore the POS machine. I'm completely lost! I haven't felt this lost since windows 98 with all the unexpected crashes that you would get for just opening up a word document, which made me go back to 95 ftw.

I've tried bootnuke a.k.a. Dban and it won't work because its a sata HDD. I'm about to try using linux, but i would try using XP to reformat it but i know you can fry your mobo doing that sometimes. *bangs head on keyboard*

Any help would be appreciated. Please only reply if you have ever reformatted vista.

Its a Toshiba Sat. L355-S7812

Please restore my sanity...
Fry a mobo formatting a Vista PC with an XP boot disc? Never heard that before.

Formatting only effects the HDD, it doesn't have any effect on the rest of the hard-ware, besides the fact that the new HD won't have the drivers installed.

First - A little more information would be helpful. Where did you download the disk from, is this from Microsoft or is it something that Toshiba put together (this would explain the restore options rather than formatting). If it is the later then it has a recovery partition (unless you deleted it, in which case you'll likely need an actual Vista disk) that it will install the files from. I can't say I own a Toshiba so I don't know how there recovery stuff is set up. If the computer has a product key on the bottom you could obtain a download (which is legal if you have a key) off of a torrent site or something or borrow one from someone. The full and upgrade versions of Vista both have format options on them so evidently you don't have the right disk.

Second - Why is your buddy a retard for buying a laptop for his business? In many business setting a laptop is desirable due to ease of portability so he can have it at work and take it home at night if he has things to do. I think you need to just settle down and maybe this whole thing would be easier for you to get through. You may be missing something due to not thinking clearly.

Let me know the answer to the question above and hopefully we can help you out dude. :)

Fry a mobo formatting a Vista PC with an XP boot disc? Never heard that before.

That's because it isn't true. It's one of many "wives tales" going around about vista that have no truth to them.

Where did you get your copy of the restore CD?

I agree with xtremezx2, having a laptop vs. a desktop for business is not a bad idea, depending on the nature of the work. However, with it comes the maintenance and all that. As for the recovery issue, since so many people have been having problems with Vista it shouldn't be too hard getting help for your case. I'd say browse sites like LaptopExperts.net and see if other people have asked a similar question and you can use the answers to guide you. Hope this helps! -TRT

Back
Top Bottom