Need help with first time build.

bobrocks

Solid State Member
This is my first time build and i have every thing installed.

I have,
ASUS, M3A78-EM Motherboard
EVGA, e-Geforce 7200 GS Graphics card
Western Digital, 160G SATA Hard drive
BTC, IDE Combo Drive CD-R 52x, CD-RW 32x, CD-ROM Read 52x, DVD-ROM Read 16x
No OS installed, i will be running Windows Vista Ultimate

My problem is that i cant get my CD-Drive to work, i have tried the jumpers in all positions and the CS dose nothing the MS dose nothing the slave blinks but it will not open.

The help is appreciated.

Is it a new drive or used? If used, was it working fine before being installed in the new system?

If it's attached to the middle connector on the cable with the hard drive at the end, it should be set as slave with the HDD set as master. If it's on the end of it's own cable, either master or CS should work. Check to make sure you have the cable connected the right way. You could try another cable if you have one available.

Sorry forgot this little thing i tried a drive that i know is in working shape and it did the same thing. big thing to forget to put in there. lol

Its screwed in. and dont you have to have a running OS to get into BIOS?

i tried the different cable, no luck

I mean how is it connected to the IDE cable? Is it on it's own cable, or connected with the hard drive. . .

Yea, you can start up the computer on go right into the BIOS by pressing down the Delete key or which ever key is specified at the post screen.

ok you dont need to have a monitor hooked up to have the cd0drive open right?

the hard drive is SATA and the cd-drive is IDE on its own cord

You should be able to open it that way. The thing is though, if the BIOS is trying to access the drive, it may not want to open. Without a monitor, you wont know what's going on exactly.

With your setup, the CDROM should be set as master.

i have it set as master.

the hang up with the monitor is that im guna use me LCD TV as the monitor so idk if it will work like that without an OS

Sorry forgot this little thing i tried a drive that i know is in working shape and it did the same thing. big thing to forget to put in there. lol

Back
Top Bottom