Need help deciding on a motherboard...

XtremeGamer99

Solid State Member
Okay, so last week I ordered all the parts I need to build a computer, and I finally got the last bit in today. However, I've come to find out that the motherboard that I purchased, a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L, was too small for my needs -- when the fan was installed, it overlapped the first RAM slot very slightly. And then, to top it off, the socket doesn't align with the side air-duct that my case has. It's actually about an inch off either direction. All this, coupled with the fact that I was never too happy about getting the GIGABYTE, I've decided to get a new motherboard.

I'm looking at this one at the moment. It seems to have everything I need. The socket seems to be spaced out a little more to where it supposed to be, there seems to be a little more room between the RAM slots and CPU (allowing my fan to fit), and it just seems lie a good board. My main concern is the memory voltage. That motherboard supports 1.8V RAM, and yet, I have 2.1V RAM. I was wondering if that could be changed in the BIOS or not (if not, i'll have to look for another, <$150 motherboard).

EDIT: or should I get this motherboard? Better reviews, anyway...

Also, would that motherboard work well with my new components?

Here are my specs:
Rosewill TU-155 Case
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
XFX GeForce 8800GT
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB
MegaSTOR 20X Triple Format DVD±RW
160GB SATA HDD (no link -- lost it)
Floppy and other random cables and such.

Thanks!

PS: Also, a quick question, what kind of power supply (<$100) would be best for this machine? I've found one at $79.99 that seems good, but I don't need that many connectors (I only plan to add, at most, one more optical and two more HDD). Is there one that has the same specs, but less connections, and cheaper?

I've seen that motherboard before, but I'm trying not to get too carried away. I think I'll stick with the ASUS.

And I know I need another PSU. Actually, I'm ordering this one along with the new motherboard, since I found out that the stock PSU doesn't have the connector for my 8800GT. >_>

Thanks!

Abit or Asus for mind, I've read too many "Help" threads related to the GB boards.

Although my P5K is the vanilla model I'm happy with it, oc's my quad to 3.6GHz no worries.

If you want to ask someone about the IP35 pm Kage he has one with his quad oc'd to 3.6 as well I believe.

The P5k will do 2.1 for your ram too btw, I was running my ram at ddr900 at 2.1 when I oc'd to 3.6GHz.

Back
Top Bottom