Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Dodge1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 595
Default Re: Need help deciding between ...

I would likely be taking Option A for the cpu preferring a faster stock speed for general application. But I run 5 WD sata drives here.

For the optical drives go with the LG there. The Sony sata dvd burner like to make grinding sounds after so long! In fact I just replaced one with an MSI ide model nice + quiet. Those were 22x however.
__________________

Dodge1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Need help deciding between ...

Look for one of the Athlon II X3s, they are very overclockable and a good compromise on the price.
Quote:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Hard Drive and Ultra Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler with Heatpipes Bundle
or should I save $20 and go with...
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB Hard Drive and Ultra Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler with Heatpipes Bundle
or should I save another $35 and go with...
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
Depends on how much drive space you need.
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
Dodge1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 595
Default Re: Need help deciding between ...

That was the item that became an obstacle as well since 3 different sized drives will be priced differently as a rule.

For the cpu I opted A there for stock systems since I presently run an AMD 6000+ X2 stock at 3.14ghz. I plan to be moving into a newer Phenom II X4 running at least that on a new build to come here.

I just bought a new WD 1tb drive for $104.99 at newegg. But you won't get the HD cooler however depending on how good that is?! If you are looking at a 320gb drive as all you would need I can save you $2 with the WD model seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136098
Dodge1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
VINMAN46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,123
Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46
Default Re: Need help deciding between ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge1970 View Post
That was the item that became an obstacle as well since 3 different sized drives will be priced differently as a rule.

For the cpu I opted A there for stock systems since I presently run an AMD 6000+ X2 stock at 3.14ghz. I plan to be moving into a newer Phenom II X4 running at least that on a new build to come here.

I just bought a new WD 1tb drive for $104.99 at newegg. But you won't get the HD cooler however depending on how good that is?! If you are looking at a 320gb drive as all you would need I can save you $2 with the WD model seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136098
woo that Wd harddrive is great you wont need cooler for it runs cold
VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
Dodge1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 595
Default Re: Need help deciding between ...

I run WD drives here all the time without anything but the case fans and never run into any heat problems. I won't use the Green Power Caviar models for an OS drive however. Those are geared towards storage and used often in external enclosures.

Having tested 7 on one removed from an external enclosure programs kept running into problems until replacing a 500gb GP with a new 1tb Caviar Black edition! Haven't tried the Caviar Blue models yet.
Dodge1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Daemon Poster
 
disturbed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,154
Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Re: Need help deciding between ...

i found a 1TB Samsung HDD for $79.99
click me
and i would go with option A on the CPUs
as for the optical drives
its up to you
if your on a budget then i would get the cheapest of the two for now
your can always upgrade or switch them out later
__________________
If you think you can, you CAN! If you think you cant, your right.
<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=disturbed13&mnOn=tru e&stat=1&imageNum=4&rankOn=false&projectsOn=false& special=false" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="125px" height="176px"></iframe>
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
nickelodeonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 285
Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn
Talking Re: Need help deciding between ...

To reply to your many, helpful posts :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge1970 View Post
I would likely be taking Option A for the cpu preferring a faster stock speed for general application. But I run 5 WD sata drives here.

For the optical drives go with the LG there. The Sony sata dvd burner like to make grinding sounds after so long! In fact I just replaced one with an MSI ide model nice + quiet. Those were 22x however.
Thanks for the advice on the optical drive. I'll make sure to do that -- definitely worth the extra $4!! I'll try to get a fast CPU, too. Especially because I'll be using the internet/using publishing programs a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
Look for one of the Athlon II X3s, they are very overclockable and a good compromise on the price.

Depends on how much drive space you need.
Okay, I'll look for some of those. Just a question though: if I overclock one of the CPUs you suggested, should I get more fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge1970 View Post
That was the item that became an obstacle as well since 3 different sized drives will be priced differently as a rule.

For the cpu I opted A there for stock systems since I presently run an AMD 6000+ X2 stock at 3.14ghz. I plan to be moving into a newer Phenom II X4 running at least that on a new build to come here.

I just bought a new WD 1tb drive for $104.99 at newegg. But you won't get the HD cooler however depending on how good that is?! If you are looking at a 320gb drive as all you would need I can save you $2 with the WD model seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136098
All right, so I should get a Phenom. Sounds good. And, are WD a lot better than other HDDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13 View Post
i found a 1TB Samsung HDD for $79.99
click me
and i would go with option A on the CPUs
as for the optical drives
its up to you
if your on a budget then i would get the cheapest of the two for now
your can always upgrade or switch them out later
okay, thanks! But is WD better? Because if it is, I think I should pay the extra money. (Even though I have no idea what WD is right now, I want to make sure it's worth it before I start researching even more)
__________________
:) Need a builder!
nickelodeonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
Dodge1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 595
Default Re: Need help deciding between ...

I've been using WD drives for ages now and not one complaint except for the Green Power models. Great for storage but nothing you want for an OS drive.

I found that out when pulling one out of an external usb casing and using it to run the 7 beta on later an RC. Several regular programs started seeing odd problems regardless of 32bit or 64bit beta or RC.

I haven't tried the Caviar Blue but am running the Caviar Black edition for the main drive and other then that WD has been reliable over the years! Samsung, Hitachi, and a few others on the other hand are relatively new brands and questionable quality at times.

WD's long time competitor is Seagate which many prefer as well. There's another well established brand name there.

What was interesting however was just seeing a review on a brand WD Essential USB 3.0external drive likely still seeing a GP series drive in it with that performing 4.7 times faster then a similar USB 2.0 model!

I'm waiting for new AMD boards to come with USB 3.0 support before the next build here where a new Phenom II or possibly Phenom III X4 quad model goes to work for me here. With a new build pending there this is one other thing you may want to consider.
Dodge1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
In Runtime
 
nickelodeonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 285
Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn
Default Re: Need help deciding between ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge1970 View Post
I've been using WD drives for ages now and not one complaint except for the Green Power models. Great for storage but nothing you want for an OS drive.

I found that out when pulling one out of an external usb casing and using it to run the 7 beta on later an RC. Several regular programs started seeing odd problems regardless of 32bit or 64bit beta or RC.

I haven't tried the Caviar Blue but am running the Caviar Black edition for the main drive and other then that WD has been reliable over the years! Samsung, Hitachi, and a few others on the other hand are relatively new brands and questionable quality at times.

WD's long time competitor is Seagate which many prefer as well. There's another well established brand name there.

What was interesting however was just seeing a review on a brand WD Essential USB 3.0external drive likely still seeing a GP series drive in it with that performing 4.7 times faster then a similar USB 2.0 model!

I'm waiting for new AMD boards to come with USB 3.0 support before the next build here where a new Phenom II or possibly Phenom III X4 quad model goes to work for me here. With a new build pending there this is one other thing you may want to consider.
Wow. Thanks. I have heard about USB 3.0... I'll have to look into that. I plan on buying the actual physical parts of my system later on, and getting the monitor/keyboard in a week or two... I'll take that into consideration.

What do you think of this $50 500GB Seagate Hard Drive?
__________________

__________________
:) Need a builder!
nickelodeonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0