Need help with the comp I just built

Dagoth Ur

Beta member
I built a new computer for myself, and I have a windows XP cd in the CD drive. I've completely (as far as I know) set up the BIOS correctly. So, the computer realizes that the windows XP cd is in there and goes to this blue screen where it loads up a bunch of things off the cd to prepare for installation. But, after its done with that it says "Windows is starting..." or something like that and it just stays liek that for about 10 minutes....then the computer shuts off. What the heck is going on? I've tried this a lot of times and the same thing always happens....HELP!!!

When it shuts off does it come back on because this is part of windows setup after it has done this what happens if you boot without the cd?

Steven11 said:
When it shuts off does it come back on because this is part of windows setup after it has done this what happens if you boot without the cd?

when I boot without the cd, it does the basic startup stuff, then it goes to a blank screen. The only thing on the screen is the litle blinking light that would tell you where you were writing if you were entering DOS commands.

and I know its not part of the windows thign because it just goes through the same steps as before each time I turn on my comp. Also, the setup hasn't installed anything, just loaded things for installation, so its not part of the sertup.

per said:
Try cleaning the cd with warm soapy water and also try a different cd drive.

The cd seems ok, but I'll clean it....I don't have any other cd drives...I borrowed the one I'm using now from a different comp in my house.

hmm weird, the fact its shutting the system down.

When it loads from the CD does your bios by any chance say to press the enter key or something to start it off?

Also, try changing inside the bios to boot a floppy first, then a cd, then your hard drive (i dont know how this could help, but you never know)

If it says to press enter, you might have to do this again each time it restarts.

One thing that is confusing me though, is that affter it has looked for drivers and things and putting them to RAM to start the installation (the blue screen bit), it then should start the process, and in my knowledge, doesn't restart after that bit, since it would reset the RAM, losing all the information it just put in, though it might restart to go to the main GUI setup with graphics and things...

Yeah, do what Per says, and try to clean the disc, as it could be having loading difficulty with a particular file its trying to load on.

I hope this helps :)

The next thing is to remove every thing except 1 stick of ram and the graphics card and do the setup. If it fails again swap the ram. XP is VERY sticky about ram.

per said:
The next thing is to remove every thing except 1 stick of ram and the graphics card and do the setup. If it fails again swap the ram. XP is VERY sticky about ram.

Lol. I only have one stick of RAM (512 mb). My graphics card is a G-Force N6600 or something...i don't feel like checking. I might swap the ram chip into the other slot though.....thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom