Need Help Choosing A Gaming Laptop

blackholeson

Beta member
Hello. I am not very good with computers and technology, thus prompting me to come here for some help. I am looking into buying a laptop mainly dedicated to gaming, but also for minor tasks such as browsing and word processing. The games I would like it to run are more graphic-intensive games like EVE Online. I understand that games like this require a fairly advanced graphics card. On the EVE site it recommends "256 MB Shader Model 3.0 Graphics cards such as GeForce 8 class card or higher, ATi 3000 series or higher and Similar chips from other manufacturers." By the way, I am looking to buy a full laptop package--I am not building this from scratch. What laptop packages would be good for this? By the way, it would be great if this could be done for under $1000. Any help would be great. Thanks!

ASUS is a good brand to look at. They make some relatively in-expensive laptops, and target gamers. Ofcourse you can always go with the over priced dell alienware, or XPS series. Another company is Sager. They are a smaller company but make gaming laptops.

Here's a link to Sager's site: www.sagernotebook.com

i would highly recommend Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv7-4280us NoteBook Intel Core i5 480M(2.66GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory 750GB HDD 5400rpm BD Combo AMD Radeon HD 6550M

-Quad core processor up to 2.93GHz
-6GB DDR3 RAM
-1GB AMD Radeon HD Graphics
-17inch screen with 1600 x 900 resolution

I have a model simular to this one and I think they are great laptops. My brother also has a DV6 HP laptop and he uses it for gaming and thinks it performs great.

The only thing I would possibly do is take the hard drive out and sell it and buy a good SSD drive as this will give you a good speed boost.

is space an issue in your home/home office? if not i'd advise you get a desktop instead of a laptop. I always say that, but that's because i don't think laptops are reasonably priced enough yet, compared to desktops, especially in the high end capacity.

if space is an issue and you're not considering desktops at all, i second what JCB said.

Back
Top Bottom