Need Help - CD Boot Error

medabomb2000

In Runtime
Just to start it out... I'm CompTIA A+ Certified, but am seeming to have a little trouble trying to fix my friend's laptop. It is a Sony Vaio (Model: PCG-FXA47).

Recently it was infected with a Worm and destroying all the major system files.

I went ahead and wiped the hard drive with Kill Disk using the DOD recommended wipe. After the hard drive had been wiped, I tried to insert the XP OS disk into the cd drive (bios has cd drive as first boot), but it would come up with an error after trying to boot up: "Error Loading Operating System".

I even tried using my Windows 98 SE disk... Same thing.

Any Suggestions where to start? I'm out of ideas...

Edit: Kill Disk will still boot from the CD, but non of the OS's will...

download GParted

Format the disk as NTFS, and then try to boot up with the OS cd again. I had troubles trying to boot with a windows disk when i had my linux partitions on my computer. I formatted the drive using GParted...and it worked.

Give it a shot :)

I just went ahead and tried to load up GParted. Still getting same error.

I have also tried to run FreeDOS - hoping that the FDisk will be able to load, but can't even pull up FreeDOS. Still getting same error. Does anyone know how to go about to get around this? I have never seen this before...

I have also removed the hard drive from the computer board and tried to boot up the following disks: Windows 98 SE, Windows XP Pro, GParted, and FreeDOS. All of these were tried when the hard drive was removed and I recieved an different error: "Operating System Not Found".

I'm guessing that the BIOS version may need to be flashed at this point. I am thinking that when the bios is running through the boot list (even though cd drive is selected first), it is somehow looking at the hard drive. Or maybe it's not allowing boot disks to run. I really am having a hard time understanding this problem. If anyone has had any thing like this, would really appreciate any help in any direction... Willing to do about anything to revive this laptop.

Back
Top Bottom