Need help building a gaming computer

epkrnftblluva

Beta member
Hi guys! New member here ^_^. I spent the last hour reading all the how to threads and I am still lost. A lot of the guides were outdated as well, with Core 2 Duos discussed as the main processor. The only thing I seem to be sure about is that the i5-3750k is the best for gaming and I only need 8gb ram for gaming. However, I'm still in need of more help building my first computer.

I'm looking to use my rig for mainly gaming and looking for play bf4 on max settings when it comes out. I'm looking to first buy the components of the pc that won't be outdated or outperformanced by this fall. That sounds kind of vague, but basically I want to be able to incorporate the parts I buy now into more advanced parts I buy in the fall, when battlefield 4 comes out.

I have an overall budget of around $1000, so any parts/suggestions would help! I already have a monitor/keyboard/speakers so no worries about that. If you guys think I would be able to run BF4 on max with less than $1000, please let me know! I know I'm a new member, but I would also appreciate why you suggest that part. I'm very interested in learning about computers as well so I'm not on a crutch for the rest of my life on computers! Thank you! :D

Here's is the updated build list. I'm going to hold off on the GPU because I can get that in the fall, and the intel CPU comes with a simple graphics card.

1.Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
2. Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

3. CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

4. ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
5. Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
6. SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Any way I could save money on this guys? Like getting better performance by cheaper? I want bang for the buck

Well the SSD isnt extremely neccecary, and you could easily hold out on that.

As far as I know, the Z77 chip is a waste of money compared to the Z75 unless you plan on using two Graphics Cards or you need auto-SSD caching.

For RAM I would reccomend Corsair Vengeance blue instead.

If you're waiting 'til fall to get the Graphics Card, there might be a better deal by then, but the XFX Radeon 7850 2GB is an extremely good card for about $250.

Case: I dont know much about that one, but the NZXT Source 220 would be my pick for $50.

I'm actually building a PC for gaming in about the same price range too, and I've done a fair bit of research on the best parts.

8GB of ram and a 1TB hard drive are both not needed right away either, you could always start with 4GB and a 500GB caviar blue and upgrade later.

I hope I've helped, I'm new here too.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Would this setup work together? and would it run windows 8?

It would run Windows 8, yes. And it is pretty much always going to work together, as long as the mobo has the right chipset and PCIe slot.

Thanks! That was great advice. I'm going for the 1TB and 8GB ram because the price/unit (GB) is more efficient with the increase in storage/memory.

The total comes out to $617 without the graphics card and SSD yet, which is awesome. I might look into running two graphics cards and auto SSD caching, so I went with the Z77.

Again, thanks everyone and looking forward to building my first computer. :D

Agree with all of the above, except for waiting. :)

Unless there is a local computer show coming right up next week, don't wait. New and better stuff are showing up every single day. Just don't be upset about finding cheaper parts a few months down the road, and think of the enjoyment that you've got out of your machine; and don't chase the latest bleeding edge technology, you'll be fine.

Have fun building!

I would have 8 gigs of memory to play it safe. The computer cache some memory for operations and you'll have 3-4 gigs free for your software (depending really).

If you don't download lots of stuff you can get by with 500 gig drive but as prices go, 1 TB will be fine.

Are you sure that the Corsair TX650 is a V2? That model is made by Seasonic and if you can get that model get it. Also my list shows it as discontinued so be sure it is a V2. If not, get a Seasonic PSU.

Hold off on the SSD, they're not necessary. Good choice on the CPU but I'd get a Gigabyte motherboard over an Asus. They're both good but I've been hearing too much about Asus flaking out on their support.

Back
Top Bottom