need help badly

also on the MB i have 2 leds that are constantly on led 1 and led 6 they are orange in colour is this a bad thing or is it just always like that?

hit the del button when it fires up i think.
although it does tell you on that pdf ifyou need to look.
woz

To get to the BIOS, you should only have to press DEL at bootup.

As for SATA, I know that you may need to install drivers before you can install drivers since Windows can't recognise those drives straight away. I don't know too much about that though.

I'd assume though the way you are fitting it is right :)

EDIT* Wow, in the time I posted this, 2 posts had already been done...

I don't know about the lights I'm afraid... though I have a green to suggest power, and a red to suggest things are in right I think, or that a chips working.

the light by your pci slots is a standby power led, the one by your ram slots is your dram power led.
woz

Ah, didn't know that. I have an ABIT board, and the green light is next to an LED readout, and the red light is positioned on the bottom right, next to the motherboard connections to hard drive power lights, and other LED's for example around the computer.

I guess if the DRAM power lead wasn't lit, you'd know straight away why your computer wasn't working? :p

That'd probably help actually. To have a few lights telling something else on the bottom of the board, like for example a CPU light, and a PCI-E 16x light, just so it narrows down what could be wrong. Get what I mean?

cheers boys, gotta tell you i am really liking these forums, it would make sense to me that the drivers for SATA would have to be installed first so the board can "talk" to the drive, because the MB came with a SATA floopy disk.

Had some progress last night fired up and it all worked went into the BIOS (which is achieved with F4 BTW for anyone with a DFI-lanparty NF4 sli-DR) and changed it to boot from CD

put my XP disk in and it ran it, hit enter to begin installation and it stayed on that screen for an hour and a half with nothing happning

so i am wandering at this point is the computer attempting to transfer files from the CD to the hard-drive in which case the solution of installing SATA drivers first sounds plausible

am i right in thinking this?

BTW i will be posting some cool pics of the case and screen etc when i get it working hopefully tonight (fingers crossed)

what a ****ing pleb i am, sorry i had you racking your brains guys, the SATA lead from the drive was plugged into SATA 3 on the MB, just noticed it swopped it to SATA 1 and all is well, hopefully. cheers for the help anyhow

Back
Top Bottom