Need help ASAP. Computer powers up but monitor,mouse,keyboard don't turn on

clandestinex337

In Runtime
So I just got home and my sister told me my computer is acting up. And it powers up, fans turn on all that jazz, but the monitor, mouse, keyboard do not do anything.

what could cause this? I need this fixed for work. So I need to find out the problem ASAP

Ok we need some questions answered so we can diagnose this:

How was it behaving before this happened?
What did she do to it before it happened?
What are the specs and model number of this computer?
How long have you had it?
Does the motherboard make any beeping noises when you start the computer up?

This is the first time that this has happend.

She said she was browsing youtube and AIM then it shut of and restarted. Then she shut it off for the night and it started to do the above.

--MSI P35 Neo2-FR LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
--Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
--OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
--EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

The motherboard makes no noises. There are red lights that I see, not sure if those are a sign.

I just hooked up a old PSU but only the power to the motherboard, and it did the same thing. So it might be teh Processor

Do you get anything on the screen?
Does the PC post?
What red lights are you referring to?

Do you get anything on the screen?
Does the PC post?
What red lights are you referring to?

Nothing on the screen,
I don't know waht PC post is
Not sure how to explain which lights, but it seems all the lights are red, but if I remember correctly. Its always been that way.

I just got from buying a new CPU and it is still doing the same thing.

If this helps any, some of the fans are not turning on. And if I spin them a little then they start moving.

I am thinking its PSU or Mobo. I called MSI and they said its either the PSU or CPU. SO I guess the only thing left is the PSU

They had me disconnect all my HDDS and I still have the disconnected. Should something still show on the screen even w/o the HDDS hooked up?

Thanks

Yes the bios screen should still flash when hdds are disconnected. Sorry to bash with questions again :D xD but ah Have you overclocked the cpu? Did you apply a lot of thermal paste on the cpu? is there paste on the cpu socket?

I did OC the CPU a long time ago. Theres not a lot of thermal paste but enough. There is no paste on the socket.

The new CPU i just bough I just stuck in w/o paste and fan to see if it booted. Then turned it off once I saw it wasn't booting.

POST is power on self test, its basically self diagnostics at boot up.
You mention that you get no beeps off PC, so something is seriously wrong here.
More than likely your mobo or processor, im a firm believer in always having spare components to swap out so i can find the issue, if you dont have any spares thentry and get some from a friend so you can eliminate things one by one.

Back
Top Bottom