Need HD help....

viperman

Solid State Member
I pieced together a computer from parts laying around and tried to transplant the HD(Maxtor) from another working system into the new PC but the PC wont start up, I get the initial screen with the bios version then the intel board splash screen and then I get "disk read error, hit alt+cntrl+del to restart". The computer will boot up with a different HD(IBM) that I formatted and installed XP pro on, and it will boot up with the Maxtor HD as a slave to the IBM HD. The Maxtor works perfectly in the system I pulled it from and the new system works perfectly with the IBM that I formatted using the new system. Both HDs have the same OS.

When I set the Maxtor as a primary it is recognized in the bios as a Maxtor 2B020H1 and the jumper hasnt been changed from J48.

The new system is an upgrade form the older one, so I want my HD with all the info to just move form the old system to the new one.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

hmmmm..... do you have older IDE cables? on that maxtor, because the same thing happened to me once, but it turns out I had the IDe cable backwards because the cable was older and had no pin blocks, so it could go on either way. it stumped me for a week. also if that doesnt work this will.. go onto or somewhere and get an EMPTY external 3.5" hd enclosure, they connect through USB or IEEE1394. just pop the drive into that, and boom take all the files form your old HD and put them on that IBM, then reformat the Maxtor and try using standard IDe again....

Thanks for the reply, the IDE cable isnt backwards, I can go back and forth between the IBM and the maxtor and every time the IBM works and the maxtor doesnt.

I cant just transfer files, there are programs and settings that I need to keep. I wish it was as simple as transferring files. I can ghost the drive, but then its just a clone and im guessing it wouldnt work. Is there a way to clone the slave onto the primary?

Should an HD transplanted from one PC to another work or does the HD only recognize the system it was initially set up on? The Maxtor works when I put it back into the original PC.

it should work in the new system that it's put in, no matter how old the drive is. I booted up just fine when I put an old 3 gig HD in my machine loaded with win 95, and it worked fine with my things, granted it was angry because it wanted drivers... but it still worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom