Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
cavemangrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: need a good heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
I have it's little brother...

Xigmatek HDT-S963

Cabbs linked the bigger model, IIRC the heatsink is bigger and it has a bigger fan than mine, but the "bang for your buck" comment is spot on with either one, for someone who doesn't OC or just mildly OCs (10%-20%) the Xigmatek HDT-S963 is only $15 after rebate and keeps the temps on my E6600 in the low 30s (idle) to high 30s (load), I don't see much of a change when I OC, maybe a few degrees here or there so it does creep into the low 40s when OCed, which is acceptable IMO, great cooler, I've never had any of the big boys (Ultra 120, Zalman, etc...), but I've never really had the need, and this one is dirt cheap and performs almost on par with the ones that are 4 or 5 times as expensive...
How does it compare to the stock heatsink?
__________________

cavemangrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: need a good heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemangrinder View Post
How does it compare to the stock heatsink?
my temps dropped about 15 degrees, I was idling at around 45-47 degrees with the stock Intel and now idle around 30-32 degrees...

I don't game or OC very heavily, but even when I encode video, run other applications and surf the web at the same time my temps almost never get above what I used to idle at before (45-47 degrees), the encoding itself just about maxes out one of my cores, with all the other stuff going on it gets to be about an 80% load, the highest I've seen it get since I installed the Xigmatek is 51 degrees...
__________________

__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
LukaszR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via MSN to LukaszR
Default Re: need a good heatsink

for the Asus Triton 79 Cooler...will i have to remove my motherboard to install it?
I do not want to remove my mobo, so can someone tell me if i would have to if i purchased the Triton 79 cooler. Thanks!
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
cavemangrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: need a good heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
my temps dropped about 15 degrees, I was idling at around 45-47 degrees with the stock Intel and now idle around 30-32 degrees...

I don't game or OC very heavily, but even when I encode video, run other applications and surf the web at the same time my temps almost never get above what I used to idle at before (45-47 degrees), the encoding itself just about maxes out one of my cores, with all the other stuff going on it gets to be about an 80% load, the highest I've seen it get since I installed the Xigmatek is 51 degrees...
Awesome. I will keep this one in mind if I decide to get an aftermarket heatsink myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszr View Post
for the Asus Triton 79 Cooler...will i have to remove my motherboard to install it?
I do not want to remove my mobo, so can someone tell me if i would have to if i purchased the Triton 79 cooler. Thanks!
From what I read on the Triton 75 you don't have to remove the motherboard. Not sure if that goes for the Triton 79 as well.
cavemangrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
In Runtime
 
toole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 263
Default Re: need a good heatsink

I too have the e8400, I orginally had the Xigmatek HDT tall boy..it would not fit in with the side fan on my case, so I refunded it and picked up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106080

CPU temp dropped down ~10-12C

It is pretty beastly
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 ** Intel ASUS P5Q-E 775 ** G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066 ** SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750GB ** Sapphire HD 4870-Cross-Fire-Diamond HD 4870 ** GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570 ** 24" BenQ 5ms(1920x1200) LCD ** Vista64
toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
LukaszR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via MSN to LukaszR
Default Re: need a good heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by toole View Post
I too have the e8400, I orginally had the Xigmatek HDT tall boy..it would not fit in with the side fan on my case, so I refunded it and picked up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106080

CPU temp dropped down ~10-12C

It is pretty beastly
i like it...i am buying this one...thanks for the share
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: need a good heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by toole View Post
I too have the e8400, I orginally had the Xigmatek HDT tall boy..it would not fit in with the side fan on my case, so I refunded it and picked up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106080

CPU temp dropped down ~10-12C

It is pretty beastly
one of the things that I love about the Xigmateks is that they face the back of the case, so they blow the hot air right at my outtake fans...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
In Runtime
 
toole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 263
Default Re: need a good heatsink

I would have much rather preferred the Xigmatek, though the Tall Boy was just too Tall :P

That Thermaltake drop in temp that I reported was also done at minimum fan speed..I'm sure it would drop a couple more degrees by going over to Max Speed.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 ** Intel ASUS P5Q-E 775 ** G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066 ** SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750GB ** Sapphire HD 4870-Cross-Fire-Diamond HD 4870 ** GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570 ** 24" BenQ 5ms(1920x1200) LCD ** Vista64
toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: need a good heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by toole View Post
I would have much rather preferred the Xigmatek, though the Tall Boy was just too Tall :P

That Thermaltake drop in temp that I reported was also done at minimum fan speed..I'm sure it would drop a couple more degrees by going over to Max Speed.
I had linked a shorter (little brother) version, which is also very good and $10 less than his, it dropped my temps about 15 degrees with an E6600, but I had actually looked at the Thermaltake as well, there are tons of good coolers...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #20
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: need a good heatsink

I had a TT Big Tower before, it performed identically to my Zalman 9700. That's not bad, but my TRUE was about 5 degrees cooler.
__________________

Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0