Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Camelia Send a message via MSN to Camelia Send a message via Yahoo to Camelia
Smile Need Files From My Harddrive.

Awhile ago, I had got a bluescreen error on my other laptop (DELL Inspiron 2200) which said UNMOUTABLE_BOOT_VOLUMN. I had got that screen when I had started it up awhile ago. Before this happened, it worked fine. Now it won't let me on Windows. It dosen't seem to be reconizing the harddrive. I had pulled it out and re-inserted it a number of times but I didn't really get anywhere. After BIOs, it would make two beeps and it would say something like "No Bootable Device. Strike F1 to retry. Strike F2 for setup." I can't repair Windows. I had tried to re-install Windows but it won't let me. I really want some of the files on my other harddrive. Is there anyway I can get the some of the files off my other harddrive, it would be much appreciated.

Camelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Need Files From My Harddrive.

the simple answer is yes .

how you do it is another matter you could

1. boot from a windows live cd or usb stick and hope when your in windows it will recognise your hard drive then maybe burn your files to disk or move them over a network ??

2. assuming you have a desktop you could buy a laptop hardrive to ide connector like http://www.casecooler.com/3drto2dr.html the one there and move the files to your desktop

and im sure there are many other ways but thats how i wud do it

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Camelia Send a message via MSN to Camelia Send a message via Yahoo to Camelia
Smile Re: Need Files From My Harddrive.

QUOTE=ssc456;616404]the simple answer is yes .

how you do it is another matter you could

1. boot from a windows live cd or usb stick and hope when your in windows it will recognise your hard drive then maybe burn your files to disk or move them over a network ??

2. assuming you have a desktop you could buy a laptop hardrive to ide connector like http://www.casecooler.com/3drto2dr.html the one there and move the files to your desktop

and I'm sure there are many other ways but thats how I would do it[/QUOTE]

Can you be more specific?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

ok either way your gonna have to have another working pc or laptop which i assume u have coz ur posting on here.

so im also assuming u have an xp disk as u posted ' I had tried to re-install Windows but it won't let me' earlier so follow instructions on the bart pe web site http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ which r pretty simple instructions then wen u have your live cd/ dvd booted up find a way to back up your files.

i dnt know weather that supports burning to disk but u wud need 2 drives n e ways but something like a memory stick shud work but if all else fails it definately supports networking .

thats the free option the other option is 2 buy that cable i mentioned earlier plug your laptop hard drive into a desktop and backup the files that way i dnt know how much more detail i can give u on that 1 ?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
BSOD

I have a disk, but it Windows Home Edition. On my laptops are Windows XP Proffesional and Winodws XP Media Center. I'm on my other laptop (my new one) right now. I don't wanna mess with this one. Where is the harddrive located in a desktop computer? I don't even know what a desktop harddrive looks like
Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

umm u dnt need to know where the hard drive in a desktop is all u need is a desktop with a spare IDE slot if need be unplug the cd drive and use that cable.

and i dont know if u can make a live cd with home edition but your best bet is to download a windows xp pro from a torrent just to get the setup files to get int your hard drive once you downloaded the xp pro cd follow the instructions on the bart pe website but b 4 you download just try it with a home edition disk it may work

Old 05-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
BSOD

Cool Re: Need Files From My Harddrive.

I was just asking were the harddrive is so I know, I never seen a desktop harddrive.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

ok it depends on the different cases but usually they are underneath the cd drives

this is the most common layout of a pc http://www.neilvandyke.org/pc-building/guts.jpg