Need Feedback On New System

joker_king16

Baseband Member
I'm preparing to purchase parts for my 1st computer. These are the current parts on my list:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939
MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD
XFX PVT43GNDF3 Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B250S0 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM
ASPIRE X-InfinityBlack Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX w/420W PS
acer AL1714CB-8 Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor

This machine is being built to play games such as Battlefield 2, CS:S, and Doom 3. Do you forsee any problems with this?

This system currently would cost about $875 to build. Can you think of any areas that could be significantly improved without a dramatic increase in price (total no more than $1200)?

Specifically do you think it would be worth it for each of the following upgrades:

SLI Motherboard
2 (1x1GB) RAM
6800GT Video Card
Athlon 3200, 3800
19" LCD 8ms
450W< Power supply

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Your PSU seems good enough so you can rule that out.

The SLI motherboard can get costly especially for two cards so i recommend just buying the a normal one and putting the 6800 GT in it.

Get 2 gig of ram only if you have the money to buy it. 1 gig will suffice for any game out there.

The monitor is always a luxury in my opinion but if you're feeling like a 19" is good for you then go for it.

Yeah, I agree. Sli is only for people who intend to get another card later on. WIll you do that? I would just go for the regular board with one slot and get the 6800gt. 2gb is for massive multitaskers... I have 1g and I can do anything... 19" lcd is a good choice... 17" is the almost bare minimum... I cannot live with anything less... but yeah, again, like bongoman said, if you have the funds... yeah, go for it.

If your getting an LCD i would suggest getting a lower responce time (6 and under) to prevent tearing

What? Are you kidding me? For games, a good 8ms response is almost essentail... I'm confused by that post there... tearing? An lcd? hmm....

Even 12-14ms is OK I have a 14ms and it runs fine. Although, a 25ms would suck

Any LCD Monitor I would get would need to be 8ms or less. Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming guys, your opinions really matter to me.

Back
Top Bottom