Need Everyones help.

We need a lot more information about your computer. Out of the 5 goals you listed, you may be able to accomplish the gaming ones. This computer has no chance at video editing. Multi-tasking is a maybe. Fast....well that's relative. In order for a good video editing computer I'd recommend you run with a quad-core processor. Unfortunately, going by what Muz said, the socket is an old 939. The fastest processor you can find for this is an AMD X2 4600 rated @ 2.4GHz (I think, I know that they have 4200+ 2.2GHz). However you will only find the processor on eBay at prices of nearly if not more than $100. Hardly worth it. The bottom line is: You have $100 to spend and you want to upgrade 1 item (correct me if I'm wrong). Any item you upgrade will be bottlenecked, meaning other parts will prevent it from performing as best as it can. This machine is not worth the upgrade. Try to sell this tower and get a $500 budget. You'll have better chances.

if he wants to put some $$ into this system he may be able to have a pretty good upgrade (not compared to a current setup, but from what he has as of now), but he'd have to decide which option (upgrade or rebuild) would be the most cost efficient for him...

TigerDirect still has an socket 939 AMD dual core cpu, but it's almost $200, not practical at all, but he could look on craigslist, ebay or other websites where people sell old cpus, I've seen dual core 939s really cheap, even if he just upgraded to about 2GBs of DDR 3200 he'd see a big improvement in performance...

Back
Top Bottom