Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Beta Member
Exclamation Need To Build a new PC

I currently own an M2N Asus Deluxe Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.4 ghz with 4 gigs ddr2, 750gig harddrive, Radeon 5670 graphics card HDMI out, 750 wat power

I need advice on what to buy that should last me for about 4 years as this rig did that and cost about $2000 back in the day

Im wanting to play Battlefield 3 when it comes out in October

the requirements for the game to run:
Battlefield 3 System Requirements - PC Game Battlefield 3 requirements

i was thinking about buying a server computer with 2 cpu slots and 6 or more ram trays/bays

i read some forums saying that you cant overclock a server computer but if i have enough processing power that would never be an issue.

the Specs I was thinking should be 2 Quad core processors($300 each), 1 to start off with, yes i know they have t match exactly for them to work together and the board has to be able to support it and then i would go with 2 gig sticks for 6 gigs and slowly move it up to 8 or so gigs if the need arises.
Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Server Memory Model CT2KIT12872BA1067

I would be buying a Radeon 6870, I dont know what one yet
Newegg.com - radeon 6870

the grand total im finding is close to $1100 plus case unless my current case somehow fits it.

is there a CHEEPER way to make this computer so that i can still play the game with nice graphics?

I was wanting to use a server computer because then i could do 2 quad cores totaling
8 cores and then have spaces for cheap ram so that i could buy 2 gig sticks and not be forced to buy 4 gig sticks totaling over 6.5 gigs total

im wanting to spend close to $500 max I cant seem to find a combo deal anywhere online.

would it be easier to just go with an i7 processor and motherboard and 6 gigs of ram so that i can over clock?

this is a big investment so i need some advice

thanks guys

shanejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Team
Default Re: Need To Build a new PC

//Moved to hardware
Humans are the only creatures that won't live up to the their potential. Give everything your all. When you die, die on E.

So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote