Need AMD 2600 FSB help, cant clock to maximum

loopsider1

Beta member
i just bought a AMD 2600 with 333MHz FSB, and it came with its compatible motherboard.

the problem is, they gave me a 512 MB ram that does not coincide with the 333Mhz FSB(i got that from a chart that came with the motherboard's documentation). the ram is a PC3200 and that only works with a 400MHz. it says im supposed to have a PC2700 or PC2100 ram.

the 3200 RAM doesnt cause any problems, it just doesnt let my processor do its max speed. in the BIOS it only gives me up too 200 MHz FSB. when i choose this, my windows doesnt load, and the highest i can go is 166.

at 133 mhz it gives me about 1.2 ghz clock speed, but when i go to 166 it gives me a nice 2 Ghz clock speed. then going to 200 MHz gives me an unusable 2.4 ghz. am I overclocking it? or is the ram not being compatible giving me the problems?

i feel that i should be able to go to 333 mhz but i dont have that option in the bios.

if you are not running xp the speeds will drop with 98 and millenium. The speed ratings are generally for the use of xp

loopsider said:
i just bought a AMD 2600 with 333MHz FSB, and it came with its compatible motherboard.

the problem is, they gave me a 512 MB ram that does not coincide with the 333Mhz FSB(i got that from a chart that came with the motherboard's documentation). the ram is a PC3200 and that only works with a 400MHz. it says im supposed to have a PC2700 or PC2100 ram.

the 3200 RAM doesnt cause any problems, it just doesnt let my processor do its max speed. in the BIOS it only gives me up too 200 MHz FSB. when i choose this, my windows doesnt load, and the highest i can go is 166.

at 133 mhz it gives me about 1.2 ghz clock speed, but when i go to 166 it gives me a nice 2 Ghz clock speed. then going to 200 MHz gives me an unusable 2.4 ghz. am I overclocking it? or is the ram not being compatible giving me the problems?

i feel that i should be able to go to 333 mhz but i dont have that option in the bios.
Don't you get it ? You made a few mistakes.It can't be solved here.Most of this is new.You will have to pay 1 of the places you spent your bucks to sort this out.
You did not to a good job of planning compatible components i'm afraid.
:eek:

loopsider said:

So; you're Computer is 333Mhz FSB. The RAM is faster than 333Mhz; right - doesn't matter of course cause the RAM will just go at the speed of the FSB.

loopsider said:

Now this is the weird bit; the RAM which is faster than your processor's FSB is not letting your Processor work at its maximum speed? This makes absolutly no sense as if the RAM is faster it can't slow down the FSB.

Don't fiddle about with the BIOs unless you do know what you're doing.

The RAM is compatable; 2Ghz is probably overclocking it on a 2600 but its safe, can't remmember the actuial numbers. 2.4Ghz as you said is unusable and will just destroy the Processor.

Leave it as it is; its working; its doing. If you want to be picky get the 2700 or the 2100, but it doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom